Is divorce possible in this case of disease


I'm a thane district resident since last 6 years. My parents are Ahmednagar District resident. I have married a thane city resident girl in last year. Before marriage and after marriage also my wife and her parents never told me about her psychic disease.

She had a disease called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I come to know about the disease in details before 3-4 months. The disease is somewhat controllable and not curable permanently. In this disease there are various symtoms like excessive negative thoughts, scared about infections/persons, etc. She also had feets unexpectedly and unknowingly. This was completely hidden from me. I was unknowingly shown for her wellness to several doctors. No one had told me in details. I had third party doctor's opinion on her case papers of psychitrist doctor. He told me the this disease is non-curable and she is always absent minded so she cannot take care of herself even.I was really shocked about this. 

Apart from disease she has behavioral problem. She never kept house neat and clean still only me and she resides at my home and she is housewife. She never tollerate any of my parents, brother, sister at our home when they merely come 2-3 times to my home for few days. She never attended them properly and respectfully. Always attends carelessly and always argues with them on any reason even quarrels with them loudly. She never satisfactorly maintained house and even didnt care about me. She always behave as she wants and never try to understand my feelings. Also as she is nearer distance to parents she always prefer to go at parents home many time atleast 2-3 times a month and always 2-3-4 days stay at her parents. This is kind of cruelty with me.

Finally I have decided to separate with her i.e. divorce. From last 3 months we are separate. Can I file divorce petition on this grounds? Also advice me where to file petition as my residence comes in Thane District in Maharashtra.





why do not you try treating her

Total likes : 2 times


Senior Management

use 12 1 c , supression of facts. it will not be covered u/s 5 . contact expert lawyer on these lines.

Practicing Advocate

In my opinion this cannot be a ground of divorce. Why don't you try helping her by giving her good treatment so that she can live a normal life and be a good wife and daughter-in-law.

Total likes : 3 times



Sorry to say you are wrong in your approach to the said case.She is your wife and she is ill.You are ignorant of her signs and symptoms and so have been the treating doctors.OCD(OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER ) is very much a treatable entity 30 TO 40 % CASES CAN LEAD AGOOD LIFE ..Be kind to her .OCD illness manifests with following symptoms ARE THEY PRESENT IN HER

Obsession -Repeated intrusive thoughts of own which patient recognizes as her own in form of dirt/doubt/slowness/order

Compulsion - Acts which are performed t by patient to reduce the anxiety that builds up likef washing/checking/arranging things in particular order.Pt ususally knows what they are doing is senseless but are compelled to follow thier repeated intrusive thoughts with abehhaviour like chicking/washing etc or they get tense.There is usually no fits in them .

You have written at several place what she does but never mentioned what medicine she takes.I think you are very much ignorant and you never applied yourself to treat her well.You are shifting the responsibility Its not advisable.OCD can hit any body in stressful periods of like

change of job

added resposibility in new house hold

child birth.

Why she should have "fits".Is it neurological seizure or hysterical seizure.I understand that your dream of married life is destroyed .But get her treated .You cannot undo the past.People might have hidden the illness but dont blame her for crulty if she is not treated properly.Do you have her treatment records of being ill before marraige.If not then dont think that she is having it  before marriage. Document your efforts of getting her treated and take the responsibility .After you have tried and failed or she is unwilling to accept her illness then only you think of divorce otherwise not.Its not right as per my perception.


Total likes : 3 times


go for divorce/annulment on fraud basis as it is difficult to live with people with mental disorder because after sometime her behavior can get into u also

Total likes : 1 times


I would strongly advice you and your wife to go for counselling sessions. It could also be that there are issues with you and your folks which she is not able to handle. Maybe she feels alienated too.

Take her to a good psychiatrist and get her treated for her medical condition.


Agree with you all... However, every one who gets married will have his/her dream and plans. Parents/groom or bride should be truthfull and disclose these kind of information. If they are not truthfull on this basic things, how can you trust on a longer run.

Also why to take this unneccesary financial burdens that to from not trustworthy people, instead you do the same kind of help to any destitute child or orphan.


My thoughts.....


Thanks all of your suggestion regarding treating her but sorry to say I was intentionally good to her and shown to Genral Physician and Finally to Good psychiatrist for her wellness. But someone should mentally prepared to accept that "I want to be healthy" , "I want to be good to all". If there is no desire to accept & achieve anything then GOD (if there is) also cannot help in any regards.

I had never give away my any kind of responsibility towards her. I had always taken care of her. Always tried to understand her by her way but I was failed. Her parents never had intention to helping me in this situation and they are not understanding / accepting her problems. I'm not expecting any financial help but seeking moral support to her from them. In fact they are running away from helping her. None of her family want to stay with her at my house for supporting her inspite of my invitation to them for the same.

Why should I...

Gender Researcher

Read Aflatoon's Dash ' s posting again for your question "Why Should I "? 




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
CrPC Course!     |    x