Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gana (Consultant)     10 December 2013

Purchase of land in a gated community

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm looking to buy a property in Bangalore and was interested in purchasing a plot in a gated community. I have a query regarding the same.

The said plot is part of a survey number which measures approx. 3 acres and was alloted, after the demise of their father, to one among 3 brothers and is based on a panchayat parikath in 1983. This is also reflected in the mutation register.

Thereafter, this person entered into an agreement in 2010 for sale of all of this land. He had his wife, 1 daughter, 3 sons +  their wives and 1 minor children each. He also had his sisters and their family as part of the agreeement.

So in the whole transaction there were 3 minor children involved (one from each son, aged between 4 and 9 in 2010). All the 3 minors were represented by their mother as Natural guardian during the transaction. 

So my question now is, can any of these 3 minor claim for their share of the property in the future when they turn major.

If yes, does the Comment ii) under Section 8 of Hindu minority act hold me good?

"(ii) Immovable property contemplated in section 8 means a minor’s definite property and not his fluctuating indefinite interest in the joint family property. Interest is ever fluctuating depending upon exit and entry in the family by natural process or otherwise. It is only upon a partition that a definite share can be culled out. Undivided interest of a minor is left untouched. Section 8 is in pari materia with section 29 of Guardians and Wards Act; Naryan Laxman Gilankar v. Uday Kumar Kashinath Kaushik, AIR 1994 Bom 152."

In other words, do these minors only have fluctuating indefinite interest in the property and hence not able to challenge their Grand father's sale agreement in the future?

Please suggest. Awaiting your response on this regard.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Ganapat

Learning

2 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 December 2013

Mr. Ganapat,  I think you are thinking to much about nothing or perhaps have been misguided by your friends or colleagues on the subject. The owner himself got the property after partition among the family members, moreover he had his sisters, sons and daughter sign on the papers besides the mothers of the minor children(the signatures of mothers of minor children are not at all necessary).  so, I think this will be sufficient for you to go ahead with the purchase of the property without worrying about the minor's claims in the future.

Gana (Consultant)     11 December 2013

Hi Sir,

Thanks for your valuable response. I just wanted to add another piece of information which may be important:

The partition deed from 1983 is an un-registered partition deed and the promoter has only got a copy of it. However, as I said, this was done in 1983 and this person who has sold the land in 2010 was the second in a line of 3 brothers.

Also, if I understand your response correctly, the grand children of the person doesn't have any claim in the property in the future. Please confirm.

Thanks!

Regards,

Gana

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register