Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jon (IT Analyst)     31 May 2012

Prevent my sister's marriage to a mentally unstable person ?

Pls do not think that  I do not love my sister and I want to prevent her marriage. My story goes like this , as with any other love marriages , my sister is not aware of the real character of the person whom she is in love with for the past 5 years.

My sister is a Bsc Nurse working in a reputed hospital ,  the guy is uneducated,jobless , but these factors do not count I know.  When we approached the guy's parents about asking why the guy could not complete atleast higher secondary school , his parents replied that , the guy has learning disability and cannot do math , so he is not good with number and hence he could not complete his education. I really doubt on this point. Because the person has facebook account and the updates he does doesnt match with a person who is uneducated.

The boy is near our home only , so I enquired and found that it is because of a mental breakdown that he was not able to complete higher secondary school from the neighbours. 

His family is rich and his uncles are goondas and they came to our home and demanded my sisters marriage. My sister is blindly in love with the boy and she says she will commit suicide if my parents did not agree for it.  His uncles came to our house and threatened my parents that if we did not agree for the marriage ,they will see to it that no other marriage proposals come to her and they will block everything. They also said they will ask my sister to come out of the house if they call her. 

My mother and father became afraid and out of threatening from his family and her statement of commiting suicide they agreed to this half heartedly. 

But as a brother , I cannot agree to this , because I have enquired a lot about this person and everyone has the opinion that the person is mentally unstable , its not that he is unstable all the time , he will lose his sense randomly. 

His parents have purposefully hidden this fact and is telling he is having learning disability only. My mind is not allowing to agree for this proposal knowing these facts about the boy. My sister or my parents are not willing to hear my opinion and the real facts about this guy. Parents are afraid that sister will commit suicide and they agreed to this. My sister is blindly in love with this person and is not willing to believe me. 

Can I do something legally about this , like preventing this marriage on the terms that the boy is found to be mentally unstable.And the boy's family is threatening us and forcing us to give my sister for this marriage. 

I really need help on this pls. I need a lawyer to consult also I need to immediately ,  because I need some action to be taken as soon as possible.

pls contact me at :   900 321 2856

Learning

8 Replies

bhima balla (none)     31 May 2012

If your sister is an adult, marriageable age and can consent-then you have no legal standing to prevent her from marrying whoever she wants. It is not just you-but your parents as well.

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     01 June 2012

@ Author

The problem here in your query is that if your sister and the boy are of adult age and are in agreement for their marriage then no matter if your side applies Law no force cannot be forced upon your sister from your side via Law once she says YES in a Court for marriage with the boy.

Better empower your sister to face bravely post marriage situations if any and stand always as her biggest support.

If above not possible then banish her to
Arctic for few years till current hot atmosphere matter subsides.

We do understand your side's concerns.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     01 June 2012

Things appear to be out of your control.  You and your parents can even go to jail.  If this girl knows that he is mentally sick and joless and still want to marry then neither can she be stopped from marriage nor she can tommorrow ask for divorce on this ground.  She is openly condoning the deficiencies of the boy.

This girl is either interested to learn the life by her own experience or is lured by the richness of the family.  You may have no option but to forsake her. Examples of other failures marriages will not deter her.  Perons entering in such marriage are at the moment convinced that at least this marriage will not fail.

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     01 June 2012

You said, the boy's side people are goondas and they are threatening.  Being a male in the family, you may feel like playing a protective role and may not like to succumb to threats and domination by others, it hurts our self-respect (to be dominated like that infront of family members). We feel insulted and bad about ourselves that we are not in a position to give a retort to the people who are threatening us. How much that is weighing on your mind in feeling bad about your sister's love?

Live and let live if they are in love.

manish (cdsdfasd sdf)     01 June 2012

@pinto,

maybe your doubts are not right. mybe that insane guy would be the most sane guy ever.. marriages are like lottery - whats the guarantee that your sister will be happy if married to a man of your choice?

Sree (na)     02 June 2012

Dear Jon,

I whole heartily appreciate your efforts and care and precaustion for you sister's wellbeing. Any brother would be expected to do the same.

I suggest, you do not lose the hope, but please try to gather the proof like medical reciepts, school wtnesses and any other certificates, the documents supporting his mental illness.

Secondlyu, gather the witnesses and proof regarding their family  criminal backgroond.....

The best thing to do for now, immediately is to become friendly and postpone the marriage as soon as possible.

Once you postpone, you will have time take the further steps.....

I tell you, Law may support the marriage if both agree, but there are many things called knowledge, wrong informations, misrepresentation of personality, fraud with allicious intentions and many. Not that I am suggesting you to file case with these grounds, that is just the stupidity, but I am making it clear to you that food can be had in different angles if not straight through the hand..........

So,  with all due care, the best thing for now to do is please post pone the marriage and never give a lue as to your intentions to breaking it.......

next step will take after this, if this fails everthing is useless...........

I wish you all the best........

you may contact me on bssv.bssv@gmail.com

Regards,

BSSV

Sree (na)     02 June 2012

lets not the hypothetical, when it cmes to life and living.........

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     03 June 2012

Dear Sreee,

I am sorry to disagree with your considered views although you appear to have as good sympathy for this man as I do have.

There is no point in putting this man to waste his energy and resources at this stage for gathering the evidence as you advised.  Even if he gathers evidence of his medical conditions and evidence of the criminal background of the family still this evidence is of no use as his sister inspite of these factors adamant to marry that boy only.

There is no provision in law that a mentally unsound person of a criminal background family (or for that matter criminal himself) cannot marry if the girls is willing to marry him inspite of this background.  Although discovery of mental illness after marriage is a ground of divorce but not in this case. 

I also do not think that he is at all in a s position to postpone it.  The reality is that his sister has to comeback to his doorsteps crying after being tortured and this will happen only if marriage is there.  So sooner it happens then brighter will be the chances of re-marriage.  He should therefore neither obstruct nor try to postpone. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More