I myself am from hyderabad, me along with my friends meet at a pan shop everyday evening. We smoke there and we chat for some time staying there. Today, while we are at the pan shop, some police rakshak vehicle has stopped by and some police men came to us asking why we are here. We said we came for smoke, as this is a pan shop. One of my friend showed some attitude towards the S.I as we had done nothing wrong and for being unnecessarily questioned by them, for which the S.I asked the constables to take our mobile numbers. But the constables took our mobile phones and asked us to come for station to collect them.
When we reached the station, the S.I spoke with us saying that there will be a petty case on us, and we should come on monday for hearing before court and said that we have to pay Rs.100/-
They returned the mobiles but has taken one of my friends original driving license.
The S.I asked the constable to take our addresses and leave us.
The constable wrote our names and addresses on some white paper and asked us to sign on it.
The pan shop is surrounded by some residential buildings. We never caused any disturbance to anyone nor we never misbehaved with any girl around that street.
We all are working employees and are 24 yrs old.
1. The pan shop being located in a residential area, Public smoking is an offense for which one shall be fined. But why to open a petty case?
2. On what charges will the petty case be filed?
3. Can there be any legal solution for this other than a petty case.
4. Can this petty case cause any problems in our careers.
5. After paying Rs.100/- will the petty case be disposed? Our names and addresses be disposed from their records??