LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rajat gupta (self)     21 December 2011

Objectionable buyer agreement

I had booked an office space with a builder, and he has now sent me the Buyer agreement. But I find many objectionable clauses in the agreement, some are listed below. But the builder is not changing the buyer agreement. So, can I seek refund of the booking amount based on the buyer agreement being objectionable ? Requesting inputs of the esteemed forum members.

1. The agreement does not have any stamp Paper attached to it.
  2. The Building Plan is yet not sanctioned. Hence floor plan, site plan and even Specifications are subject to change.
  3. Possession 36 months after the execution of agreement or Building Plan approval, whichever is later.
  4. Agreement mentions that the Developer may carry out additions / alterations / deletions / design modifications using its sole discretion even after the Building Plans are approved. And if any additional PLC becomes applicable due to such changes, then Allottee has to pay it.
  5. Developer can unilaterally change the PLC, as per prevailing company policy.
  6. Developer may increase or decrease the area of allotted office space.
  7. Allottee needs prior approval of the developer to avail loan from any bank.
  8. Allottee needs to take prior written approval from Developer for getting interiors done.
  9. Developer reserves the right to change all annexures to agreement. This includes Layout, Super Area Calculations, Payment Plan, Common areas and facilities, Specifications, Floor Plan, Maintenance Agreement.
  10. In case of dispute, Arbitrator can be employee of the Developer and allottee should considerthis arbitrator to be impartial.
  11.  Arbitration meeting can be anywhere.

Requesting your expert opinion please. Thanks.

Rajat Gupta

Learning

3 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 December 2011

You may first examine the documents signed by you while making the payment and booking the office space and check if there is any clause for refund , and then submit your objections in writing under acknowledgment.

Once you own the space clauses like 7, 8 can not be imposed upon you. Clauses like 10, 11 are highly arbitrary.

rajat gupta (self)     21 December 2011

Dear Mr Kumar, I most appreciate your prompt response.

There was no mention regarding refund on the application form, nor was there any mention that the booking amount can be forfeited. Infact, the application form did not define any ernest money.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 December 2011

The builders and developers are known to not resort to fair practices and inflict burden of litigation on the clients, and apply all kind of tactics to delay and prolong the matter.

It shall be appropriate to do your home work and meet this developer in good faith and apply your negotiation, persuasion, persistence, reasoning skills to exceptional level and drill sense and submit your objections under acknowledgment and collect the refund. This shall be quickest and easiest way out. If you can you may involve some common acquaintance or locally influential persons to resolve the matter in your favor.

If all efforts fail, you shall have to proceed legally and consumer forum may be one of the options. Before that you should build written record in your favor, so that you do not loose out on any count. If you have access to a trained legal mind/lawyer/law firm let them draft and structure your communications. If you can do it yourself, you may do so.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register