LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Praveen (none)     25 February 2010

NRI GPA

I am an NRI looking to sell my apartments in bangalore and would like to give GPA to my father residing in bangalore. how do i execute the GPA? on plain paper? stamp paper? who should attest my signature in the USA? once my signature is attested who should attest my father's signature? thanks for any guidance on the process.

Learning

4 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     25 February 2010

You can execute a Power of Attorney and send it to the Agent, in India. You have to sign this before a Consulate Officer or a Notary in the country of your residence. Your signature in the deed has to be attested by the Consulate Officer or Notary. The Agent can adjudicate this Power of Attorney, within three months after receipt in India. Adjudication is a method of paying proper stamp duty for the Power of Attorney. This is a simple process. The stamp duty payable for a Power of Attorney varies from State to State in India. It is also determined on the basis of contents of the deed. Make sure that you sign every page. Most of these deeds are signed only in the last page. This is not accepted, generally, in India. At times, the date on the document and the date of attestation differ. This is never accepted. Always send a covering letter or note with a date on it. This will help in computation of time of three months for adjudication.

3 Like

A V Vishal (Advocate)     25 February 2010

The POA has to be on a plain paper.

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     27 February 2010

Adv. Vishal has provided the best advice. The stamp paper value is Rs.200. The POA Holder at Bangalore, can take the POA to the stamping authorities and get it affixed with a special adhesive stamp for this Rs.200.

vasudevan

Venkatesh (Software Engineer)     31 August 2010

Hello sirs,

I am planning to buy a property from an NRI who has given POA to his father in law . The father in law is saying that he needs to pay 6.75% as stamp duty  and that I (as buyer) need not pay stamp duty as he has already paid it . The property is in Bangalore . 

Is it correct ? Will the stamp duty paid by the father in law be deducted when I need to pay stamp duty for the purchase. 

Thanks in advance,

Venkateh

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register