Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Surya (Manager)     17 March 2014

Money recovery - 498a

Hi experts,

I've transferred around 10 lakhs to my mother-in-law's account for the propose of her son's education between 2008-2010. My wife's parents promised me to return that money once their son gets a job in US. Mean while due to family disputes my wife filed 498A on dowry grounds (stating that they had given me 10 lakhs as dowry during and after marriage). Now they are not giving my money. Please advise me on getting my money back. All money transfers are from US to India remittances to their Indian account. What cases can I file to get the money back. I've the remittance transaction statement from the bank that I transferred as proof. Will that sufficient or do I need any other proof. All commitments are oral and no documentary proofs regarding the repayment.

Thanks in Advance!! 

Learning

12 Replies

rajendra (na)     17 March 2014

nothing to worry..

send a legal notice for the repayment of the money which u have sent along with dates....

Let the opposite party reply the notice then file it in a city civil court........

i have done the same ..i have trasfered 3lac to my FIL ...i have sent the legal notice to him and got reply..

have filed this in bangalore civil court...Even i don't have any document or other proof..all these money called as handloan.....You will easily win the case but it takes 2-3years time 

hope this information will help you..

1 Like

Surya (Manager)     31 March 2014

All, My lawyer is saying that the limitation for filing recovery suit is 3 years from the last transaction. Since my last transaction was happened in March 2010, I've crossed 3 years limit. Is there any way I can get the extension for filing the recovery suit. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     02 April 2014

Dear Surya

The limitation will be start from the date when they refused to pay the money, so send a legal notice and demand your money if they refused to pay then the limitation will be start and not from the last transaction.

feel free to call

Nishant (BDE)     02 April 2014

Need Free On-call Legal Advice. Just give a missed call on 08010201301(toll free) or visit https://www.seekadvice.in/get-info.php

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     02 April 2014

agreed with above advise.

Anyway you gave money to your in-laws only to be retunred when their son get a job in US.  You should have understood that  even if they relations were codial still the money was given in charity not to be refunded.

Moeny

Gautam Kapoor (IT professional Studying Law)     03 April 2014

well advised by Nadeem Sir and a live example from Raj .I'm surpised with one of the comments labeling the money as charity. A stark distinction between hand loan and charity should have been made out.

The judges are experienced/competent enough to use their  good sense and discretion to decide if the money was given as charity to you MIL.

The mere allegation that you demanded 10 lakhs as dowry looks as as a counter allegation so that they do not pay your money back. 

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     03 April 2014

I beg to differ with Nadeem Sa'ab.

If the other party is legally sound, why would they respond to such legal issue to restart the period of limitation.

The way out is to make some grounds, like you being out of India to file the recovery suit with condonation. It is difficult but then there are judgments in both sides where condonation is allowed or not.

However, The way Nadeem Sa'ab is suggesting may not be workable as for my knowledge is concerned.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor
Handphone: +91-8010850498

If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you LOST.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     03 April 2014

I beg to differ with Nadeem Sa'ab.

If the other party is legally sound, why would they respond to such legal issue to restart the period of limitation.

The way out is to make some grounds, like you being out of India to file the recovery suit with condonation. It is difficult but then there are judgments in both sides where condonation is allowed or not.

However, The way Nadeem Sa'ab is suggesting may not be workable as for my knowledge is concerned.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor
Handphone: +91-8010850498

If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you LOST.
1 Like

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     03 April 2014

Dear Surya every civil suit or criminal complaint have a cause if

Dear Surya every civil suit or criminal complaint filed before the court is based on the cause of action and the limitatiion will be start from that action. in a simple word if any one give some money in 2014 for a period of 5 year then the last transaction is in 2014 so he can not claim the money? after finish the 5 years period if the party is not ready to pay the amount and refused to pay then the cause of action raise and the limitation will be start from that time and not from 2014. read CPC with limitation act for further clarification.
1 Like

THE HIGH COURT OF DELHI AT NEW DELHI SUBJECT : CODE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE, RFA No.153/2004 DATE OF DECISION : 2nd March, 2012 SH. VIRENDER KUMAR JAIN Through: None. M/S. ALUMATE (INDIA) PVT. LTD. Through: CORAM: None. HONBLE MR. JUSTICE VALMIKI J.MEHTA VALMIKI J. MEHTA, J (ORAL) 1. ..... Appellant versus ..... Respondent This case is on the Regular Board of this Court since 2.2.2012. No one appears for the parties although the matter is effective item No.10 on the Regular Board. It is 2.40 P.M. 2. The challenge by means of this Regular First Appeal (RFA) filed under Section 96 of Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (CPC) is to the impugned judgment dated 22.11.2003 of the trial Court dismissing the suit filed by the appellant/plaintiff under Order 37 CPC for recovery of ` 3,49,000/- alongwith interest. The suit was dismissed as it was held to be barred by limitation. 3. The facts of the case are that the appellant/plaintiff gave a friendly loan to the defendant vide cheque No.172560 dated 22.4.1998 drawn on Punjab National Bank for a sum of ` 1 lakh and also by another cheque drawn on the same bank numbered 177746 dated 18.10.1998 for ` 1,50,000/-. The defendant executed promissory notes and receipts dated 22.4.1998 and 19.10.1998 showing the receipt of the loan. The respondent/defendant is stated to have continued to pay interest till 10.3.2000 and since thereafter dues were not paid notice dated 14.12.2001was issued to the defendant, which having proved futile, the subject suit was filed on 8.2.2002. 4. The trial Court has held that the respondent/defendant has no substantial defence to raise in view of the promissory notes and receipts dated 22.4.1998 and 19.10.1998. The trial Court however dismissed the suit as barred by limitation by making the following observations:- 10. Now the question is about the right of plaintiff to judgment. During arguments on application for leave to defend. Ld. Counsel for respondent submitted that the present suit is barred by law of limitation. An application in this regard under order 7 rule 11 (d) CPC has also been moved for defendant. Reply to the same has been filed for plaintiff submitting that as per section 19 of the Limitation Act. the fresh period of limitation shall be computed from the time the payment is made. As such in the present case the fresh period of limitation has to be computed from 10.3.2000 when he filed the application for leave to defend. 11. During arguments also on application for leave to defend. Ld. Counsel for plaintiff has relied section 19 of Limitation Act to show that the suit is within limitation. Section 19 of Limitation Act, 1963 is reproduced below: Where payment on account of a debt or of interest on a legacy is made before the expiration of the prescribed period by the person liable to pay the debt or legacy or by his agent duly authorised in this behalf a fresh period of limitation shall be computed from the time when the payment was made. Provided that save in the case of payment of interest made before the 1st day of January 1929 an acknowledgment of a payment appears in the handwriting of or in a writing signed by the person making the payment. 12. In the present case the case of the plaintiff is that the defendant continued to pay interest till 10.3.2000 and fresh period of limitation starts from 11.3.2000. It is worth noting that there is no case of plaintiff that an acknowledgment of a payment appears in the handwriting of or in a writing signed by the person making the payment. In the absence of satisfaction of the condition of proviso to section 19 Limitation Act 1963, fresh period of limitation shall not be computed from the time when the payment was made. The suit is barred by law of limitation if Section 19 Limitation Act is not applicable. The present suit has been filed on 8.2.2002. Receipts dated 22.4.98 and 18.10.2002 show that cheque no. 172580 and 077746 dated 22.4.98 and 18.10.98 have been paid on 22.4.98 and 18.10.98 respectively. Under article 20 to schedule of Limitation Act, 1963, the period of limitation in a case when lender has given the cheque for money in a case when lender has given the cheque for money is 3 years from the date when the cheque is paid. In the present case this period of 3 years expires much before 8.2.2002. 13. In view of the above discussion, the present suit fails and is dismissed being barred by law of limitation. File be consigned to Record Room. 5. In my opinion, the suit of the appellant/plaintiff cannot be said to be barred by limitation inasmuch as the averments in the plaint show that the loan was given without fixing any date of repayment. Once that is so, the loan would be a loan which would be repayable on demand. The demand in this case is alleged to have been made upon the respondent/defendant for the first time by the notice dated 14.12.2001. The period of limitation therefore will be three years from 14.12.2001, and therefore the suit which was filed on 8.2.2002 would be within limitation. Suit for recovery of loan without a fixed period or a date of repayment is a suit governed by Article 113 of the Limitation Act, 1963 as per which the suit has to be filed within three years of arising of the cause of action. The cause of action in this case will arise on sending of the legal notice dated 14.12.2001. I therefore hold that the suit was not barred by limitation. 6. In view of the above, appeal is accepted. Impugned judgment is set aside. Suit of the appellant/plaintiff is decreed for a sum of ` 3,49,000/- alongwith interest @ 9% per annum simple from the date of filing of the suit till realization. Appellant is also entitled to costs of this appeal. Decree sheet be prepared. Trial Court record be sent back. Sd./- VALMIKI J. MEHTA, J 2 March 2012

Surya (Manager)     03 April 2014

Thanks a lot Shonee ji and Nadeem ji for valuable suggestions. I'll be sending a notice for repayment and will see the the response.

Thanks!! 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register