Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

lavanya   12 August 2015

Mental harrasment by father in law and sister in law

Hi All

I got married in Nov 2012. My mother in law is no more and as my husband used to be in US then , his father stays with his daughter ( My sister in law). She is married and has 2 kids. Since 3 years , they keep blaming my husband for getting married to me and keep abusing us. He abuses my parents , my character and my father in law behaves as though he has disowned his son. My husband is unable to cope with his behaviour and has gone into depression in the year 2013. We had to leave US and come because he could not concentrate on his career/job because of their behaviour. There is no end to their behaviour and torture mentally.

Please suggest what legal action can I take against this.

Thanks

Learning

9 Replies

Prasad (Systems Engineer)     12 August 2015

Lavanya,

It is very hard to believe that a father harasses his own son and sister harasses her own brother.

Why do they hate you and what did you do to them or to your husband?

But still... 

You have not mentioned whether you and your husband are living with your FIL and SIL.

If not, you should ignore them and haev peaceful life.

Else, you should move and live separately.

Do not take any legal action and break our family system.

Instead stay away and let time heal everything.

lavanya   12 August 2015

We had an arranged marriage. When me and my husband met , we liked each other and I had no idea that they did not like me and my husband handled all the affairs on his family side.

He even gave the money they demanded as he did not want his family to take any dowry. In spite of taking all the money , now my in-laws are blaming us that , we did not give them the demanded money and I am not the right person and pass all demeaning comments about my character.

His father even said that he got married against his will and would not be giving any of the property that he is legally entitled to.

For all the harrasment that they have done , now they blame me , by saying that , his career is down because of getting married to a girl like me. They have totally insulted and shown me as a very mean person to their relatives and friends. I am unable to take this behaviour of theirs.

Though we donot stay with them , when ever they talk , they constantly keep nagging and all this has resulted in my husband's mental state. I have reached a stage where i cannot take this torture any more and want to get some legal answer to all this demeaning acts of theirs.

Prasad (Systems Engineer)     12 August 2015

Lavanya... 

Because you are already staying separately, you should move on and take care of your husband.

Legal actions to take revenge will heavily backfire on you.

At some point, your husband will also lose trust and love on you.

Please stay away and avoid calls with them.

Your FIL is right "His father even said that he got married against his will and would not be giving any of the property that he is legally entitled to.".

And so, you should not expect any money from your FIL.

And also should give complete freedom to your husband to be in touch with his beloved father and sister.

saravanan s (legal advisor)     13 August 2015

i agree with mr.prasads comments

Vidya (ss)     13 August 2015

Appreciating advice from Mr. Prasad... Keep it up..guiding in right way.

well lavanya feel lucky .. You said your husband him self gave money to avoid blam of dowry and own desired life partner. It seems he is well matured. 

I advice be yourself matured try to be patience and make things to keep your husband relationships more strong ... Think wise and act on every situation. For a man "how important is wife" "equal his parents too". 

Even if any adviced you to go legally to make scared of your FIL SIL. Never move so.

how much your husband did to own you .

same turned to save his parents from your legal action . You will be a big looser.

so kill your ego, control negitive emotions and develop positive attitude .. Sure you will have more happiest life.

i know saying is easy then doing .., life itself is effort.. Good luck

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     14 August 2015

To add to Prasad's "Legal actions to take revenge will heavily backfire on you," stay away from advocates! They will promise you the world and entice you into filing DV, divorce, judicial separation, maintenance, 498 and other such cases to start their meter. That will be the start of your REAL matrimonial problems. What you are facing now is termed normal wear-and-tear in a matrimonial relationship.

SuperHero (Manager)     14 August 2015

@Lavanya - Advices are well given. It is better to avoid communication. In 21st century communication has become part of and parcel of life through media and technology.

It is better to relocate to a different place all together, atleast when environment changes you feel little better.

Please Pray to God and I wish you Good Luck. Stay away from Courts as far as possible.

harrassed   06 September 2015

Hello All,

Very happy to see the comments by experts. 

@Lavanya, Please follow the experts advice. The moment you approach the legal doors for something that can be sorted by you (through patience, love, etc) you will win. I mean you will win over your husband's and in-laws hearts. A day will come where your in-laws will aprreciate for your maturity shown during some of these tough time. Wish you good luck!!! 

amaresh   06 September 2015

Do not go to court, it may fractured your Sansar...Try to negotiate with them, afterall now you all are family members.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register