Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

JATINDER PAL SINGH   13 January 2016

Maternity benefit to contractual employees

Dear All

I am staying in Delhi and wife is working as TGT Teacher under following Academy as a contractual teacher for 10 months in a year.

Punjabi Academy (Government of NCT of Delhi), DDA Community Center, Motia Khan, Pahar Ganj Ne Delhi -110055

Contractual teacher of Punjabi Academy are not getting maternity benefit under Meternity Benefit Act 1961.

We have filled an RTI to: Department of Women & Child Developement, KG Marg New Delhi to check whether Punjabi Contractual teacher are eligible for these benefit or not.

They have transfer our RTI to their internal department and their internal department transfer to Punjabi Academy.

In RTI we have also given the reference of Muncipal Corporation of Delhi Vs Female Workers (Muster Roll) And on 08-Mar-2000

If till last we not got the satisfactory answer then : - 

• Can we file case in High Court for our rights
  • If we file case in High Court can Chief justice can provide a Laywer (free of Cost) to fight for our case, as this case in not belongs to Individual
  • Do we have to file PIL in High Court to get our rights
  • Or any other relevant information which is helpful for our knowledge

Attached: RTI filed

Regards/Jatinder Pal Singh

Learning

8 Replies

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     13 January 2016

My advise is to get definite reply to RTI application.  If you have not got it, then file First appeal against PIO.  Even then, if you would not get definite reply, then file Second Appeal before CIC.  If you have already got definite reply, but you are not satisfied, then go through the Maternity Act very carefully and see whether this school fits within the definition of establishment.  After that, you have two options, one - a joint application you can move before Assistant Labour Commissioner or file a writ petition before HC (court prefers joint petition of workers instead of PIL). In High Court, as the women are involved, you will get free legal aid for filing as well as for arguments.

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     13 January 2016

If it is possible, post here the RTI reply, so that I can further advise you.

JATINDER PAL SINGH   13 January 2016

Dear Prabhkar

First of all this is not a school this is a Academy working under Government of NCT of Delhi who has appointed following numbers of teacher in different Government school under their payroll.

TGT – 200-250 (approx)

PGT – 9-10 (approx)

Primary Teacher 100-150 (approx)

Attached: RTI Transfer

Although we have not received our RTI reply as soon we have receive the reply of our RTI we will update the same on this Forum

Attached File : 339856 20160113150040 703101534 transfer.rar downloaded: 71 times

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 January 2016

You have made a good citation.

First of all it is to be determined which Act/Rule shall apply and who is the employer; Central or State Govt?

e.g; Maternity Benefit Act,1961 or Maternity Benefit Rules of the establsihment/govt?

Accrodingly the employer is to be dtermined.

You may go thru: Maternity Benefit Act,1961: 1(b),2(a),3(d)

and accordingly the applicable benefit is to be paid.

You may also represent to the Concerned Minister in NCT of Delhi i.e. currently Mr. Gopal Rai, and The Chief Secretary, Government of NCT of Delhi.

https://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/doit_labour/Labour/Home/Acts+Implemented/Summary+of+the+Acts+Implemented/The+Maternity+Benefit+Act,+1961

Disparity in Maternity Leave has been taken up under human rights as well.

19. Disparities in Maternity Leave to......................

https://nhrc.nic.in/ar98_99.htm

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     14 January 2016

Now, I have gone through your RTI application.  Unfortunately, as most of the RTI applicants do, you are also doing the same mistake.  RTI purpose is only to seek information.  RTI authorities can give the information that maternity leave is provided to the teachers in Punjab Academy or not.  If the teachers are not provided the benefit, they cannot give answer that whether they are entiled or not.  That question can be decided by the courts of law.  Now, I have clear understanding about the issue, what you have to do is to file a representation to the Punjab Academy and also to the Ministry of Women & Social Welfare requesting them to introduce this benefit in Punjab Academy. Give them 15 days time.  If they will not act upon your representation, within one month, then you approach the High Court under writ jurisdiction making both Punjab Academy and Ministry of Women & Social welfare.  The legal position is like this:  Maternity benefit is available to the employees working in establishment as per 2(b) of the Act.  Establishment is defined under Section 3 (iva) of the Act.  Now, as Punjab Academy falls in Delhi (most probably it has been registered under Societies Act or registered under Charitable Society), Delhi Shops & Establishment Act's definition of Shop is applicable in this case.  As per that definition and that Delhi Act, even contractual employees are entitled to the benefit.  The benefit will be as stipulated in the Act.

JATINDER PAL SINGH   14 January 2016

Thanks Kumar Doab & Prabhakar for your valuable suggestion.

Prabhakar: Do we have to first wait for RTI reply / First Appeal (Directorate of Education, New Delhi) / Second Appeal before CIC or do I  have to directly file a representation toward the concern authorities

If yes, Please share any link where I can take help for drafting the representation.

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     16 January 2016

Now, as I saw your RTI application, I do not see any merit to wait for the reply of RTI, because I said earlier that RTI can only tell you whether maternity benefit is being provided in Punjab Academy or not.  The answer, you know, very well.  So, write a representation to the Punjab Academy and Ministry of Women and Child welfare (or social department) and also as an abundant precaution to the directorate of school education asking them to  provide the benefit to the teachers of punjab academy, within 30 days, and waiting for 30 days approach the HC.

JATINDER PAL SINGH   19 January 2016

Thanks Prabhkar

You are right we know they are not providing the Maternity benefit without wasting a time we should submit representation to provide the Maternity Benefit to Punjabi Academy Teacher

As soon as we will draft the representation, i will share the same on this forum before submitting it to the concern department.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register