Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SRAVANRAJ123 (working)     04 February 2018

Interest from a loan given to a family person is taxable ?

I received lump sum amount from EPFO as my father was deceased.
I have lent that money to a close family member on interest basis.

Every month 1st day he is depositing the interest amount into my bank account without any fail.
Do I have to pay tax for that interest amount ?

Currently I am working for a software company so  I am already paying tax for my salary income.
Would I be questioned in future from Income Tax Dept for not paying tax to earning interest amount ?

Your advices will be so helpful for me.

Thanks inadvance.

Learning

5 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     04 February 2018

Yes, income tax is payable on the interest income mentioned by you.

SRAVANRAJ123 (working)     04 February 2018

Could tell me where can i find how much do i suppose to pay as tax? And what type of tax category this scenario falls into ?

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     05 February 2018

Your initial basic doubt was cleared.

It will fall under the category of Income from other Sources.

There is no separate rate of tax for the interest income. The same will get merged in the total income,  and then will get taxed according to the tax slab applicable to you. 

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     05 February 2018

Please approach a Chartered Accountatn for better clarification and to handle your Income Tax Return filing.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     05 February 2018

If you are considering income for the year 2017-18, take into account amount receivable as salary. Add to that income receivable as interest. Compute tax at the rate applicable for the year. Deduct from the amount tax paid by your enployer as TDS. The remainder will be the additional tax payable by you. You should have paid 30% of this remainder as advance tax before 15-09-2017 and another 30% before 15-12-2017. As you have not presumably paid the advance  tax so far you will also have to pay interest on the unpaid tax at 1% SI per month.

You make a rough calculation and pay the amount now.  You have to file returns for this year on or before 31-07-2018. Well before that date you go to the website of the Income-Tax Department and register yourself with your PAN as your user name and a password which you choose yourself. You can also download income-tax return form for efiling in XL form. The form will be self-explanatory and you can fill it up yourself. You will have to show the amount you receive as interest under 'Income from Other Sources."  You will get Form 16 from your employer and you will have to enter particulars from that also in the return form. After you have completed the form go to the tax computation section and fill up taxes paid. Complete also the verification section including date. Then click on the button 'Calculate Tax'. Tax will be automatically calculated. If the tax paid by you is less than what is payable including interest, it will appear as 'tax payable'. Pay that tax enter it in the form and convert entire return into XML format. You can upload the XML format after logging in with your usename and password. You can working in a software firm. All these things should easy for you. Don't worry about contacting a Chartered Accountant and all that. You are not a Shah Rukh Khan.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register