As a common man I have used the services of many lawyers in the last 5+ years and found few things that is consistent among most of them:
1. Vast majority of them is keen on taking the full fees at the beginning itself even though the proceedings hasn't even began.
2. None of them provide receipts for the payments (very few exceptions here)
3. Once they receive the payment then the interest level in the case is goes down to zero and they don't want you (the client) anymore... (very few exceptions here)
4. Once they are paid in full, many of the lawyers just find a way to force the client to find another lawyer (since they already got their payment)... obviously the client has no way of getting his money back!!
5. Majority of the lawyers community is not active in learning and don't keep themselves up to date. On top of that, they don't like if the client points out certain aspects... for example, I recently was trying to appeal against the return of the plaint and clearly told my lawyer (who is pretty decent lawyer & senior) if he fails then immeidate make a mention of file an I.A to transfer (not return) the same to the right court under Ord 7 Rule 10B. But he wasn't paying attention and he wasn't listening at all until after two weeks of me telling him the same... and after that he is telling what I told him 6 months ago and have been telling for the lat weeks as well!! You will not believe how many lawyers don't know the difference between return and transfer.
Similarly, I couldn't believe as to how many, including many judges at the lower court, don't know what the true meaning of "cause of action" is. Almost everyone assumes that it is a root cause of the suit, i.e an atmic event that triggered the institution of suit...This is absolutely wrong and there are thousands of judgements that have provided clarity and yet there are so many judges/lawyers who still think it is a just a root cause event.
In anycase, the reason for this posting is to get your opinion on the first 4 items that goes to the integrity of the profession. I know couple of lawyers in this forum who have done all of the above in my case and as well as in some cases of friends to which I referred these lawyers..I consider their actions pure cheating...but I would like to hear your views..
What can the client do to protect themselves against the above (especially the items 1 to 4)?