LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shailesh (Businessman)     02 July 2021

How much time does annulment or divorce takes to finalize?

One of my wives whom I married last year in November 26, 2020, as per Hindu rites and rituals, wants to end this marriage. I also want to dissolve this relationship. We did not have any physical relationship.

We filed for annulment in 3rd February this year and for that, shhe claimed that I suffer from schizophrenia which is true to some extent but my fatther has objection to it and said that I should go for divorce if shhe is claiming that.

I visited the court once in Ahmadabad.

If we go for divorce, how much time will it take? Will it be more than annulment?

Do I need to give any alumni?

Is there any way by which we can dissolve this relationship as quickly as possible without any harm to our reputation?

I am asking this because I have two prospects who are ready to marry me and they know about my past. However, they want to marry asap and one of them can wait only till December this year.


 4 Replies

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     03 July 2021

Better to consult local lawyer and act , As for as the time concerned no one can predict it

P. Venu (Advocate)     03 July 2021

"One of my wives" What do you mean?


Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     04 July 2021

How many wives are married with you as you have started your question with "one of my wives.." ?

The marriage is still stated to be incomplete as there is "no" cohabitation/ consummation, your lawyer should proceed to get it annulled (instead of seeking the relief of divorce) under personal laws as applicable in your case. 

Follow the advise of your lawyer who is well aware about facts of the case, able, competent and intelligent.

However, if you are not satisfied with your lawyer it is better to consult another local prudent lawyer for analyses of facts/ documents, professional advise.and proceeding

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     07 July 2021

You can proceed with the annulment petition to annul the marriage on the grounds of non consummation of your marriage for the reason that you relied upon in your annulment petition.

If she cooperates with you to get the speedy disposal, you can get it at the earliest when the current covid restrictions of court hearings are lifted.

For filing divorce petition, you may have to wait for one year completion of your marriage.

In tht case if she is unemployed and do not have any source of income to sustain her expenses you may have to pay her the alimony amount if she applies for the same.

The condition for filing mutual consent divorce case is that both should have lived separately for one year or more.



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register