LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bala (Software Engineer)     05 March 2013

Help change in name in sale deed

Hi All!

   I had my sale deed executed and registered. So here is my issue my fathers name is ramesh chandran and my name is Balaji Chandran. Since in my MS in abroad I wasn't allowed an initial I added my fathers name as middle name and so my name was "Balaji Ramesh Chandran". My pan card is "Balaji Ramesh Chandran" and my MS certificate is also in the same name but my 10th/12th/BE certificates and passports are "Balaji Chandran". Now I have executed sale deed in the name of "Balaji Ramesh Chandran". Please let me know shall I leave it as it is or shall I apply for a correction of deed ?. If so what is the procedure and what are the associated cost. Please do help me its urgent..........


Balaji Kamal Kannadassan


 5 Replies

Rajeev Kumar (Lawyer/Advocate)     05 March 2013

You will have to apply for correction of deed. The procedure is first make an affadavit and then on the basis of this affadavit tell the vendor to sign on correction deed before the registar.
1 Like

Advocate Kishor Hajare (Advocate)     05 March 2013


First let me entail, why there is  such need to make change in the sale deed?

I do not find anything material substance to change the name in sale deed.

It is Valid sale deed. Even if you have mentioned your full name in the sale deed it will not harm your rights pertaining to the enjoyment and ownership with respect to the said property. In fact, in India, we have practice to mention full name instead of part name for registration of immovable property for identity purpose.

It is also noteworthy to keep in mind that, at the time of registration you must have attached your identical proof which itself suffices your identity.

So , in my view, there is no need to rectify or amend the name in the sale deed.


Kishor Hajare/hajare.kishor@rediffmail.com/9930647734

1 Like

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     05 March 2013


it can be changed with nominal fees 
Execution of property documents is a complex process. Often, an error occurs in the process of execution of documents. It is always advisable to get these mistakes rectified at the earliest.

The mistakes may be of various types. For example, the area of the property, its dimensions, location or the survey number may be wrong. These may be typographical errors or because of improper comparison with the property documents like the transfer deed, sale deed, title deed, revenue records etc.


These errors can be rectified through the execution of a supplementary document called rectification deed. Rectification deed is a document executed between parties to correct a mistake in the principal deed.

There must have been a bonafide mistake where the original deed does not reflect the true intention of parties to the deed. The mistake should pertain to facts only. It should not be a mistake of law.

The parties to the agreement must concur to modify the original agreement by addition, deletion or rectification of any terms referred to in the already executed deed. The parties need to reduce the correction into a duly executed document. Further, they need to pay the requisite stamp duty in order to get it registered with the specified authority.

A rectification deed should be executed after mutual consent of all the parties to the main deed. All parties to the original deed should jointly execute the rectification deed as well.

In case the original deed is registered, one should get the rectification deed also registered. And pay the requisite stamp duty and registration charges as per the laws in force in the State. For general mistakes like spelling mistakes, the stamp duty and registration charges are Rs 100 each. In case the rectification deed relates to the area, the names of the parties or the extent of the property, the stamp duty and registration charges as applicable to the conveyance deed are payable.

In case some of the parties to the agreement do not agree to such an amendment or rectification of the executed documents, the other party may file a suit before a court under Section 26 of Specific Relief Act 1963. The law provides for relief to parties in case the real intention of the party is not properly reflected in the documents executed because of a bona fide mistake of fact.

The aggrieved party may institute a suit to have the deed rectified. The court can direct the rectification of an instrument, if it is satisfied that the deed does not express the real intention of the parties. This relief is entirely discretionary. The relief won't prejudice the rights acquired by a third party in good faith for value.

It is to be noted that the mistake should pertain to facts only and should not be a mistake of law. Mistakes of law cannot be rectified through a rectification deed and a separate procedure needs to be followed.(Ashish Gupta, ET Bureau May 23, 2010, )

There are some more thread if you need clarifiction 


1 Like

Bala (Software Engineer)     05 March 2013

Hi Kishor!

  Thanks for the  detailed response. Btw do you think Balaji Chandran in passport, Balaji Ramesh Chandran in pan and sale agreement is fine ?. Since I have one more minor correction I thought the complete thing can be corrected. Like even in "Balaji Ramesh Chandran" he has added another a i.e "Balaji Ramesh Chandraan".



Niharika Lohan   25 June 2023

Hi Balaji.  I’m Adv. Niharika and here is my take on your query.

In my opinion you have nothing to worry about as it is an unsaid practise in our country where people use and skip middle name in their documents without putting much thoughts in it and it is no doubt a little confusing at times, still that does not negate the fact that it is a harmless practise. It is a kind of error that people ordinarily make. Use of single and double “aa” also has the same effect. However, if you are aperson who likes to keep all of his documents in alignment with each other then you should go ahead with the correction process by means of a rectification deed.

I hope this helps, for further questions, you can contact me at niharikalohan@yahoo.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register