LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravi Chouhan (Area Sales Manager)     28 August 2012

Gratuity eligibility

Hi, please advice if I am eligible for Gratuity.

Joining Date : 01/10/2007

Relieving Date : 09/08/2012

Total Tenure : 4 yrs, 10 mths, 9 days (235 days working in the 5 year)

All Saturdays except for last Saturday of every month was off.

5 Days working by that rule is applicable or not, I m not clear 

Learning

3 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     28 August 2012

The primary condition to receive gratuity is that an employee should be  in service continuously  for five (5) years. This condition is relaxed in the case of termination due todeath or disablement. In these cases, no minimum period of service is required.

sushil (Sr. Clerk)     29 August 2012

Sir,

Pl. find the article posted on Lawyers Club for your consideration

Originally Posted by yedhulaprakash View Post
Section 4 of the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972 provides that an employee will entitled to gratuity on completion of countinuous service of 5 years and while clarifying the 5 years complete service, Andhra Pradesh Hight Court had held that the minimum period for becoming eligible for payment of gratuity should not be less than 5 years since it should be complete 5 year service. It was further clarified that the words or part in excess of six months' are only meant for the purposes of computation of gratuity for the subsequent year or years to first complete 5 years. It was also held that if an employee has worked for 4 years 11 months and 10 days, he will not be eligible for gratuity for want of completion of 5 years. Further in a subsquent case, MADRAS HIGH COURT while relying upon the clarification by the SUPREME COURT pertaining to 240 working days in one year will be deemed to be continuous serice of one year meaning thereby that there should not be complete 12 calender months' service. MADRAS HIGH COURT has further held that an employee, who has put in service of 4 Years 10 Months and 18 Days in the 5 years, will be entitled to gratuity.

Case Ref. : Mettur Beardsell Ltd., Madras v. Regional Lab. Commissioner (Appellate Authority under Payment of Gratuity Act), Madras etc., 1998 (3) LLN 414.

Attribution: https://www.citehr.com/104526-sc-ruling-gratuity-act.html#ixzz22gpDKyJe

Sushil

Kumar Doab (FIN)     30 August 2012

Kindly go thru the act and very informative threads intiated by employees. The HC and SC judgements are attached in the threads.

Section: 2A
Continuous service.

For the purposes of this Act, -

(a) for the said period of one year, if the employee during the period of twelve calendar months preceding the date with reference to which calculation is to be made, has actually worked under the employer for not less than -

(i) one hundred and ninety days, in the case of an employee employed below the ground in a mine or in an establishment which works for less than six days in a week;

(ii) two hundred and forty days, in any other case;

(b) for the said period of six months, if the employee during the period of six calendar months preceding the date with reference to which the calculation is to be made, has actually worked under the employer for not less than -

(i) ninety-five days, in the case of an employee employed below the ground in a mine or in an establishment which works for less than six days in a week; and

(ii) one hundred and twenty days, in any other case;

Section: 2
Definitions.

[2] [(c) "continuous service" means continuous service as defined in section 2A;]

It is felt that you have worked for 10 months and 9 dyas thus above 240 days.

Refer to the date of reference as cited in the act and calculate.

Discussion > Labour & Service Law > Gratuity > Clarity between gratuity eligibility service (5 or 4.8 yrs)?

At the following link:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Clarity-between-gratuity-eligibility-service-5-or-4-8-yrs--28768.asp#.UCP4NSIWrts

Discussion > Labour & Service Law > Gratuity and compensation

At the following link:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Gratuity-and-compensation-63698.asp#.UDIj9yIWrts

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register