LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mansoor (A.G.m)     19 April 2010

Gift Deep cancallation

i have gifted  property to my brother daughters in year 1998. without any considertion.namely  A,B,and C.in the year 2003 B and C has realsed the set property to A. At Present mr .A enjoying the property right. I am still Alive i want to take back My property which is gifted on 1998. they have promise that they take care of me but they failed the promise. after i registered the house. there is any possiablity of cancallation of gift deed. please advices me.

Regards,

Mansoor

Learning

5 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     19 April 2010

Mr Mansoor,

The conception of the term "gift" as used In the Transfer of Property Act is somewhat different from the use in Mohammedan law. In the Mohammedan law a gift is a transfer of property or right by one person to another in accordance with the provisions given in the Mohammedan law and includes-
a) A hiba, an immediate and unconditional transfer of the ownership of some property or of some right, without any consideration or with some return (ewaz); and

b) An ariat, the grant of some limited interest in respect of the use or usufruct of some property or right.
Where a gift of any property or right is made without consideration with the object of acquiring religious merit, it is called sadaqah.

The terms "hiba" and "gift" are often indiscriminately used but the terms "hiba" is only one of the kinds of transactions which are covered by the general term "gift". A hiba is a transfer without consideration. A gift by a Muslim in favour of his co-religionist must be under the Mohammedan Law. A gift is not a contract (though in Muslim law it is called a contract) but the principle may be applicable even to gift.

In ordinary legal effect, there cannot be a `gift' without a giving or taking. The giving or taking are two contemporaneous, reciprocal acts, which constitute a gift. Section 122 of the Act postulates that a gift is a transfer of certain existing movable or immovable property made voluntary and without consideration by one person called the donor, to another, called a donee and accepted by or on behalf of the donee. The essential elements of a gift are
(a) The absence of consideration;
(b) the donor;
(c) The donee;
(d) The subject-matter;
(e) the transfer; and the acceptance

A man may lawfully make a gift of his property to another during his lifetime, or he may give it away to some one after his death by will. The first is called a disposition inter vivos and the second a testamentary disposition. Mohammedan law permits both kinds of dispositions, but while a disposition inter vivos is unfettered as to quantum and testamentary disposition is limited to one-third of the net estate. Mohammedan law allows a man to give away the whole of his property during his lifetime, but only one-third of it can be bequeathed by will from that of a will a gift may be made to a stranger wholly excluding the heirs. Pardanashin Lady Free consent means, the consent should not have been obtained by fraud, misrepresentation or undue influence. An insolvent donor is not competent to make a gift.

'Onerous gift' is a gift made subject to certain charges imposed by the donor on the donee. The principle behind this is that he who accepts the benefit of a transaction must also accept the burden of the same. This section, being an embodiment of a rule of equity, applies equally to Hindus and Mahomedans. For acceptance of an onerous gift, acceptance of the gift itself is sufficient; there need not be any separate and express acceptance of the onerous condition also at the same time. The acceptance of the gift will carry with it the acceptance of the onerous condition also, even though at the time of the gift the donee was not aware of such condition, specially where the onerous condition is of a trifling nature (payment of Rs. 5 as monthly maintenance to a certain person for life). A donee not competent to contract and accepting property burdened by any obligation is not bound by his acceptance. But if, after becoming competent to contract and being aware of the obligation, he retains the property given, he becomes so bound.

unique horn (self)     19 April 2010

sir

It seems from your words " without any considertion ", that you did not mention the condition of your maintenance in the gift deed. if it is so then the gift given by you will by considered as a absolute gift, which you have no right to cancel.

If  the condition of your maintenance had  mentioned  in that gift deed you can cancel it anytime .

Mansoor (A.G.m)     20 April 2010

Sir,

I have transfer the property "WITHOUT ANY CONSIDERATION" and i did not mention "ANY CONDITION OF MY MAINTENCES IN GIFT DEEP" it has mention like this "OUT OF LOVE AND EFFECTION TOWARDS DONEE " .i have given.now i want take my property back.is any possiablity is there.

A V Vishal (Advocate)     20 April 2010

Sorry Mr Mansoor, there is no possibility of taking back the property.

bhagwat patil (Property due diligence 9422773303)     21 April 2010

If u go through giftdeed u will find the wording out of love and affection , if it is there the love and affection is lost like that u can argue. pl check gift deed. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register