Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jigar (partner)     23 September 2010

Fathers Property

Hi,

My father had purchased a flat in kandivli in flat 2001 vide an agreement to sale which is unregistered.

However later on via a deed of transfer between the seller and my father was done which is duly stamped and registered in accordance with law. The same metions that the transferor (Seller) hereby sell, transfer, convey and assign their right title and interest in the said premises in favour of my father.

We are in possession of the property and hold all the previous title documents which are registered and the transfer of shares by the society has happened in my fathers name

Do we still require the agreement for sale to be registered? is my dad in possession of a valid, marketable and enforceable legal title.

Thanks in advance for the replies

Learning

5 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     23 September 2010

You go thru., the Maharastra stamp ;act.  IN my opinion agreement of sale registration is must if possession is handed over to the purchaser.

k k sahay (warrent officer)     23 September 2010

My father died Six months ago. he was having clear title of the property. Now I want to transfer it on my name.My mother is alive and I have a married sister also. Can it be transferred on my name? what will be the procedure? kindly guide me. My mother and sister agrees that thay don't want this property.

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     23 September 2010

When you have a registered sale deed in hand, there is no requirement for registration of agreement to sell.  Please be rest assured that your dad is very much in possession of a valid, marketable and enforceable and absolute legal title to the property.  

[In fact agreement to sell is only an intermediary stage before the Sale Deed is Executed by the vendor.  Rather it is a document which the vendor would have been bound to execute the Sale Deed in favour of the buyer, so long as the buyer abides by the terms of the agreement to sell and is ready and willing to pay the consideration.]

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     23 September 2010

Dear Mr. Sahay,

It is presumed that the property in question is self acquired property of your father.  Such a property will, on the death of the person concerned, will devolve on the legal heirs by way of inheritance.

If it is a self-acquired roperty, all the three of you i.e. your mother, your sister and you are the legal heirs of your father's property and have equal share in it.

If the said property is to be now mutated in your name, then your mother and sister have to execute a Registered Relinquishment Deed to the effect that they relinquish their respective shares in your favour.  On the basis of such a Registered Relinquishment Deed, you can get the property mutated in your name in all the records.  Stamp duty on such Relinquishment Deed would be very very less.

k k sahay (warrent officer)     23 September 2010

Pl tell me where should I approach for the said Registered Relinquishment in the registry Office or in the Block office. What are the doccuments required for that? And one thing I wish to share u that this property came on my father name by a registered divison among five brothers. I am not having the Original papers of the property as it is with my Bade papa (Uncle). I am having a duplicate true copy of the registered deed (not photocopy). Will this also matters? thanks

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register