LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sangeetha Sundar   23 November 2017

Family issue


This is Sangeetha from Chennai. I had a love marriage during Sep 2015. When I got married my husband's relatives and my mother in law had no objection for the marriage. My father was totally against my marriage because of which I am not in touch with him for the past 2 years. Taking this as advantage my mother in law is continuously accusing me with bad words and also mentioning the caste name for scolding. Also she wants us to leave the home with no reason and not giving the share also to my husband as he is ready to leave the home if he gets his share from her. Please tell me if domestic violence can be filed against her. Thanks.

Read more at:


 6 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 November 2017

It is believed that you are all Hindu/covered by Hindu Succession Laws.  



Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 November 2017

Son/Daughter/spouse...of Hindu male/woman have NO forced share in his/her self earned/acquired estate/property. So your husband  may not have any share. His mother may give him any estate/property by her sweet will.


Sangeetha Sundar   23 November 2017

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we all are Hindu.

Kindly let me know if domestic violence can be filed against her if she is constantly using bad words and scolding with caste names both of us. As it is causing metal torture for me. I even attempted for suicide once because of this.




surinder mittal   23 November 2017

advisable to have cool approach...once matters becomes public, it's irreplaceable loss

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     23 November 2017

Firstly your husband has no right to claim any share in your mother in law's propertyin any manner nor you have any right in her property. Your mother in law has every right over her property and also to evict you and your husband. Your claim or claim of your husband claiming share is baseless and is of no use. The act stated by you does not amount to cruelty but your mother in law has every right under senior citizen Act and she can also claim protection of police. So it is better to live separately  which seems to be the best solution.

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     24 November 2017

Just to amplify Surinder Mittal's answer... Filing DV against mother-in-law will be the end of your marriage.   There is nothing material you can get from the mother-in-law because she is not required, by law, to provide you with anything. If the mother-in-law does not like you, she has the right to kick you out i her house.  In other words, you have a lot to lose and little to gain in filing DV aganist her. So, cool down... advocate will ask you to rush and file a DV case... do not do that.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register