LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Venkat R Venkitachalam (Consultant)     21 June 2009

Evidence Act

Under the Indian Evidence Act 1872 after the recent amendements consequent to the enactment of IT Act what is the status of SMS as admissable evidence? As elaborate an opinion as possible is welcome.

Venkat

Learning

4 Replies

Shree. ( Advocate.)     21 June 2009

Dear Sir,

Kindly go through this article :

One of the pieces of circumstantial evidence sought to be relied by the prosecution in the Pramod Mahajan Murder Trial, was a threatening SMS (Short Message Service) sent by Pravin Mahajan (the accused) to Pramod Mahajan. It emerges from newspaper reports that the defense, (a) gave a demonstration that a SMS could emanate from a particular handset/mobile number and when received could display another mobile number; (b) referred to certain provisions of the Indian Evidence Act, 1872 and stated that the SMS was inadmissible as evidence in Trials since, “only secured electronic evidence [could] be accepted as valid evidence.”With regard to the submission that a SMS is inadmissible as valid evidence. In my opinion that it is incorrect to state that only secured electronic evidence can be accepted as valid evidence.

Reference here may be had to Section 65B(1) of the Indian Evidence Act, 1872. It states that, “Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, any information contained in an electronic record which is printed on a paper, stored, recorded or copied in optical or magnetic media produced by a computer (hereinafter referred to as the computer output) shall be deemed to be also a document, if the conditions mentioned in this section are satisfied in relation to the information and computer in question and shall be admissible in any proceedings, without further proof or production of the original, as evidence of any contents of the original or of any fact stated therein of which direct evidence would be admissible.” Thus evidence in an electronic form is admissible under the Indian Evidence Act, 1872. Certain requirements need to met under Section 65B(1) if computer outputs are sought to be adduced as evidence.

Secured electronic evidence merely create a presumption in favour of the person adducing it, and shifts the onus of proof to the other party. Refer to Section 85B which states that, “(1) In any proceedings involving a secure electronic record, the Court shall presume unless contrary is proved, that the secure electronic record has not been altered since the specific point of time to which the secure status relates.”

On an interesting note, the Hon’ble Judge dismissed the defense contentions on the grounds that (a) the practical demonstration was conducted by defense witness, P Balakrishnan, on a Motorola handset similar to that of Pramod, but not Pramod’s phone; and (b) Balakrishnan was “not an expert” as per law as he doesn’t have the authorized qualifications. Since I do not have a copy of the judgment/pleadings, I cannot comment on these issues. Further the post is based solely on newspaper reports.

LINK:  http://iltb.apargupta.com/?p=38

1 Like

Venkat R Venkitachalam (Consultant)     21 June 2009

Shri Shree

Thank you for your prompt response with your views on the subject.  Great. 

Venkat

krishna prasad (Advocate)     22 June 2009

i krishna prasad advocate, practicing at Hyderabad, let me know the procedure of section 45 of Indian Evidence Act., for experts opinion petition has to file in the court.

with regards

krishna prasad

punyamurtula_kp@rediffmail.com

ASHUTOSH (lawyer)     26 June 2009

yes u have to file the proper application to the court for expert openion

ashutosh(adv)

delhi high court

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register