IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arvind Gupta   27 June 2022

Divorce - indian dutch citizen with indian citizen


I am a Dutch citizen of Indian origin. I came here for studies and settled here after that. I met my wife in India a few years later, and she moved to Netherlands. We have a daughter who is 6 years old. 

As a husband and wife, we are not doing well at all. 

We have had trouble since many years and even now there are so many problems and so many dissatisfactions with each other. 

We are basically not compatible. And I am considering going down the path of divorce. 

The only big problem to sort out is for the kid. 

I am Dutch citizen. My wife and kid are not.

If I approach the court here and file for a divorce, I am sure it will happen easily and smoothly. But I want my kid to stay here in Netherlands. And also my wife, so that the kid could get to see both parents. 

But I somehow see it to be very difficult, as I think my wife is not an independent woman, and I am not sure she will be able to live and work here alone and manage the kid every other week.

Also if things work out like that - how does the Indian law system approve of this divorce? Would it be possible that the divorce would be dragged to Indian courts and if it does, as a Dutch citizen would I have trouble? 

I am only worried about my wife going to India with the kid and deciding to not come back. Would she be in violation of any laws? 

As I have spoken to Dutch lawyers they tell me that it's not legal for your wife to take your kid to some other country. If the local law gives me the right to see my kid every other week and stay with her for every other week, then it's not legal. But what would happen if she goes and doesn't come back? 

I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should take this step or not. But one thing is certain, it's very difficult to live a life like this. This is not the life we want for ourselves. 

Please suggest what are some of the best options. 

Thank you 



 4 Replies

Shashi Dhara   27 June 2022

You cannot force your wife  with kid to stay in that country until no relief obtained by court ,if once both steps to India and decides not to  return or go back then you have to come to India and fight legally in Indian courts.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     27 June 2022

Yours is not only a legal problem, but also a human rights problem. European countries are very particular about human rights  specifically about the rights of women. Does your wife also want divorce? You have lived together for more than 6 years. Try to sort out the problems, if necessary with the help of councellors. Interests and welfare of your daughter are the most important factors here. She will have better quality of life as a Dutch citizen than as an Indian citizen. Was your daughter born in the Netherlands?  How is it that they are not Dutch citizens?  I think that if they want they can become Dutch citizens. In the interests of your daughter, it is very important, in my opinion, that you should live together. Actually here we would like to hear your wife also.

Arvind Gupta   07 July 2022

Hello Mr Ramani 

Thank you for your reply. 

My wife is not a citizen because she is yet to apply for it. She has not also applied for permanent residency. 

Daughter is not a citizen because wife didn't give the approval. Both parents need to give approval. 

It's difficult to continue such a relation. I want to see my daughter and want her to live here and also would like my wife to be here so the kid can see both parents. 

Should I approach Dutch court? 


Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     07 July 2022

The future of your daughter is of paramount importance here. According to me she should live in the Netherlands and adopt Dutch citizenship.  There may be family counselling organisations there. You find out and approach them. They may be able to advise you whether a Dutch court can give you relief.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query