Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vasant Kumar (Lawyer)     30 August 2015

Cross examination

Dear All,

Kindly enlighten me that what will happen if a witness is not cross examined in a case specially with reference to u/s 138 of Negotiable Instruments Act cases. Will that witnesses chief will not be read or considered by court because the witness was never cross examined or there is no need for cross examination and the courts will pass judgment based on the chief if not crossed examined? I am newely appointed counsel from accused side and the AR of the complainant is not cross examind yet. The is lingering from 2006 and now the matter is in DE. When I moved 145(2) application the judge said this sis not the stage for mving this application. Now should I refrain from cross examining the AR of the complainant or move an applcation u/s 311 Cr. P.C. and cross her. Kindly suggest.

Learning

3 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     30 August 2015

Till the time witness is not cross-examined it is incomplete evidence and shall not be read except when opportunity was given but did not cross-examine the witness.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     30 August 2015

Cross-examination is considered an essential component of a  trial because of the impact it has on the opinions of the judge. Few lawyers practice trial law or complex litigation and typically refer such cases to those who have the time, resources and experience to handle a complex trial and the commitment involved to complete a trial successfully. Few lawyers get the practice necessary to develop the techniques needed to do an effective job cross-examining a witness.

What is the purpose of including the witness in the case if he is not cross examined by prosecution and defence.

vivek malhotra (Advocate)     30 August 2015

If the witness is not cross examined and only the chief has been conducted then his evidence goes unrebutted and proves beyond the doubt. In any circumstances the accused could not move the application U/s 145(2) because of lack of knowledge then court has inherent power to give him the chance at the stage of DE as per the Supreme Court Judgement. Try to search that judgement right now I am not having the same.

I will give you the same in couples of days if able to find.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register