cost of getting a piece of land under adverse possession


Can a lawyer tell me the exact procedure to get the Title to a property under the adverse possession of limitation act 1963?

Should I file the case in the high court?

How much time would it take in a city like Mumbai?

What would be the cost of the entire procedure?

Once I get the order passed from the court am I still supposed to pay some amount to the owner?
Deputy Manager

1) If the land or house belongs to Government, then 30 years is the time limit. 2) If it is Cantonment land or house, then no adverse possession is permitted. 3) You must be in possession, with or without the knowledge of it's owner for 12 years without any notice served to you by him/her to vacate it. 4) No case should be pending against you by the owner to vacate it. 5) You should be in physical possession of the property. 6) Adverse possessor is not given the title of the property. 7) You can approach the civil court senior division (not HC) for the adverse possession. 8) No time limit can be prescribed. 9) In city like Mumbai, the lawyer if engaged can demand hefty fee, but in city like Kanpur in U.P. maximum 20-30 K would suffice.

Lawyer in Hyderabad.wats app no.9989324294

Adverse possession exists to put a statute of limitations on title disputes. For example, if you have owned a piece of land for some time, and a long-lost heir of a former owner from many years past comes forward to try and claim legal title to the land, adverse possession laws may prevent you from losing title to the property.
Adverse possession is based on a legal principle called the “doctrine of laches,” which means that failing to assert a claim or right to the land for an unreasonable and unjustified time cannot cause disadvantage to another (i.e., be taking title away from the landowner who assumed that long-lost heirs would not come back to take his land years later). Thus, if the true landowner (the long-lost heir) does not enforce his/her property rights in a timely manner, the heir may permanently lose interest in, or title to, the property.


what is the point if the title is not given in the name of the adverse possessor?
How will the FSI / FAR benefit come to the said possessor?



Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum


  LAWyersclubindia Menu

IPC Course by Ex-Judge!!     |    x