Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

LookingForHelpingHand (Individual)     12 July 2014

Divorcing an abusive wife

Dear Friends,

I got married in the year 2007.  I am blessed with 2 daughters, one is 6 years old and the second one is 10 months.  Her education is 10th class.  She does not live up to my expectations. She does not want me to be happy, whenever happiness is seen in my face, she starts her play. I have been a victim of mental cruelty from my wife. Caste meetings held, which were of no use.

I have drafted out my many points, which I will post after sorting them out. I have read many case laws and many points that I have jotted down comes under cruelty against me. I have decided to divorce my wife; I have to come this decision, because the mental tyranny is showing affect on my performance in job. Hence if I want to earn for my 2 lovely daughters, I have to come out this bondage of marriage from this abusive lady.

I will take at least 1-1/2 to 2 years time. As of now, I learned to manage the situation, even though she is provoking me so that I will go out of control, but I am not. She plays this role for some days, takes rest for some days, and again suddenly she starts, and that is why my decision. Please let me know the process of filing against my wife for divorce for mental cruelty against me.

1. How to start with.

2. How much money can be involved.

3. What consequences I have to face.

4. How to collect evidences of her cruelty. I have no financial backup and I have to live on my monthly salary, which varies from Rs. 8000 to 10,000 per month. Please do not say that I can go ahead, where there is a will there is a way. To earn money and to give good life to my daughters, I have to get separated from my abusive wife.

LookingForHelpingHand

Learning

11 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     12 July 2014

If you have made up your mind then consult a local lawyer with all the details. You say you are doing this for your daughters but considering the ages of your daughters, you may not get their custody. Also you will have to pay maintenance to your wife. For the sake of your two daughters if possible, try for more mediation thru some other elders to convince your wife to mend her ways so that your daughters will have their father and mother under one roof.

LookingForHelpingHand (Individual)     12 July 2014

Thanks Adv. Archana for you valuable suggestion. Actually, there is a very big story that I can explain. In the initial days, she or their family members never listen or talk to me or my elders concern for anything, they used to do as they like; you may ask what they have done...whatever they like they did. She and her father never had respect to my family. She wanted me to roam and always stay at their parents house, even though myself telling that I have a job and my own life to live along with my daughters. With this behaviour, her brother once trapped me intelligently, cunningly and manhandled for which I called a the police van, and then and there I approached police station, where I was convinced not to file case and later on threatened that if I file a case against her brother, they would file a case of 498a and DV. See this is the case. They are not so well educated, but I have never or anytime ill-treated them. Taking my soft and cool nature, they tortured me like anything, which spoiled my performance in job, which resulted in less salary, for which in turn I am blamed again. My wife plays many indirect games. She shouts at me more and more making issues, and because of this, even neighbor ladies used to indirectly comment at me; which makes me more and more mentally tortured.  Whenever I was suffering from fever or when I am tired, she used to intentionally forced me to involve in intercourse with her, which made me more ill.  When I bring half kg non-veg, mutton, she used to serve me a very little and the rest, she used to serve for neighbors.  Like this there are many more to say.....She used to be very innocent in the beginning, but all of a sudden, she changed like a lady rowdy.  Here I wish to say that for my daughters sake, I have to make myself financially and mentally stronger and for that I need separation not even immediately but a planned separation......everything for my daughters, I may not give them an emotionally good life with mom and dad together, but I can assure them good studies, and financially sound life.....

Dear Helping 'Hand, do not think, that the Divorce is a word that came into my mind that  easily......life is not that easy, my dear Helping Hand....

Thanks in advance....

Sunny Singh (executive)     13 July 2014

Please help

1 - Girl was 26 and Boy was 21, arya samaj marriage was 2008, Sep after a courtship of only 1month

2 - Girl was earning high than boy and there came differences between them

3 - There used to be verbal & physical fights between them most often

4 - Neither girl's parent nor boy's parent knew about this (more of a live-in thing)

5 - Boy moved out in in 2011 to stay in a PG and continued doing job. Girl remained in the same rented apartment, changed the rent agreement onto her name and continued doing job. No dowry demand nothing whosoever. It was more like staying in a rented apartment and sharing expenses. 

6 - They agreed to stay as friend and used to meet weekends. 

7 - Girl got pregnant and aborted due to her family not knowing about this in July, 2011 despite boy insisting to still get married socially after informing in both the families. Girl kept denying saying that her elder sister was not married

8 - Boy set up his small start up in 2011 and focused on career..girl focused on job

9 - Meeting weekends and phone calls also resulted to verbal disputes and heated up arguments

10 - None agreed to marry or inform parents

12 - Girl left job in 2012 and was forced to resign due to her behaviour in company

13 - Girl did not join any company and got offered part time jobs time to time from boy - there was no discussion or nothing from either end to marry. Girl insisted not to marry and stay like as they are . 

14 - Boy chose a partner to marry in 2013

15 - Girl became violent and filed all the cases against him, his family who never stayed with them and all - 498a, DV, section - 9 , 509 etc with all false allegations after informing her family after 5 years about all of these . All are filed by Husband

16 - Boy's got bail from High Court after trial court rejected it

17 - Girl now not doing job and not doing deliberately. 

18 - HC ordred interim payment to girl on giving bail to boy

19 - Boy had filed for Divorce with all materials on records - emails, photos of beatings to him from girl 

Need further directions? What is it going to be the fate for the boy?

gautam (not disclosed)     13 July 2014

Dear LookingForHelpingHand,

You say it is a well thought decision to get divorce. Did you attempt to see a counselor?  You have already spent 7 yrs in marriage, was this her behaviour always?

Looking at the descripttion, looks wife does not respect you and she is emotionally abusive wife.
 If that is the case, then they derive their strength from the person who meekly surrenders, they like to feel in control.

Suggest you go to see a counsellor first to assess if someone can make her realise her wrong doings.

LookingForHelpingHand (Individual)     13 July 2014

You are absolutely correct, Gautam.  Even though our parents and elders tell her what she is doing and when asked, she acts although she is realized, but as these are all known to our and their elders, after some days she finds another way of harassment or other means; and the fact is that her parents too supports this, why because if they started scolding her; they have a fear that their girl might not be looked up properly at my side and as such they do support her; so we can come to conclusion that they too are wrong.

As you said, if I approach counseling, she simply says that I am unable to earn more which is the main problem(actually my earning less salary is cause of her harassment indirectly)  If I take her to counseling, her parents will involve again and as they too were wrong because they do not want her daughter to be wrong and they want me to be a victim and the same thing continues.  I involved elders many times, they act as if they corrected their daughter and again they send her to live with me and again she continues to do this again and again, but in a different way; this all happened in this 7 years and And hence is this decision.  To inform you there is another thing, she will act as nice some times and you know, that is for some petty accomplishments from her side, that too for some days. 

LookingForHelpingHand (Individual)     13 July 2014

These are all the points, please do correct them, so that I keep them on the record when giving to a lawyer.

In the initial days, her father used to come very frequently and used to take their house very frequently without my mother's or my permission, and if asked used to shout at us.  Her father once called on phone at early 1 a.m. and shouted at my mother, and my aunts using foul language under drunken influence.

When a caste meeting held and when asked about the above mentioned issue, he accepted that it is wrong on him and told that he will never do that wrong and then we took my wife to my place.

Neighbors when they talk to me in respectable manner, she used to exploit and defame me by shouting at me aloud so that neighbors hear.  The same happened at various locations where we used to stay at any house on rent.  Whenever, we shifted to a new place, she used to use more water and more water always washing more clothes even though not necessary, which made other co-tenants angry, which would lead to altercation; and alternatively she used to shout at me aloud with intention to exploit me, so that people around disrespect me.  By this erroneous behaviour I happened to change many locations spending lot of money on shifting and paying advances.

Whenever there is any festival, she used to perform all poojas till 3 p.m. without preparing tea and food even for me and my children.  If we ask to cook first and then go for pooja, she used to shout at me and some times at my mother as well.

Whenever I am tired, or feeling sad about anything about my office issues, etc, she used to observe and start yelling at me, so that I feel more and more worried and depressed instead of proving peace of mind at home; this many times made me suffer a lot mentally.

She used to watch for the last week of every month, and whenever I am struggling to adjust money for daily commodities, she used to waste lot of sweet oil, sugar and other daily commodities wantedly and she forced me to bring for more; this happens every month.  She knows my salary is 8000.00 and always she looks that no money is left with me by making me spend on more things by wasting sweet oil, sugar, milk like commodities, this caused more and more mental agony as I could not perform savings for my children or myself.

At one of the places, where we used to stay for rent, she used to take curries and other food items to neighbors home and she used to serve me only some.  Lot of times she used to take chappaties, dosas preparing more than required to serve to neighbors, which in turn has an effect on my purse where I have spend more money what is needed for my small family.

She used to quarrel for days together shouting and yelling that I have bring their family members to my place and spend time as per her will and wish.  When the same is conveyed to their parents via our elders, they used to tell her daughter not to, but the same thing used to repeat 2 to 3 months time, which makes me mentally upset most of the times.

As I am working from home, the above things showed a tremendous affect on my job performance, which led to low income month by month.  And when I feeling sad about this, she took this opportunity and used to shout and yell like anything on petty things more and more.

When I am working in my shift hours, instead of taking care and managing my 2 children, she used to leave them in the house, for which reason, I have to take frequent breaks to manage and look after my children and which made me worry more because this situation lowered my target,  which in turn has an affect on my performance and salary as a whole.

She used to see for a time when I am seriously working and exactaly at that point in time, she would start yelling and shouting, which used to make me very disturbed, in turn shows adverse affect on my job.

I have all evidences of the houses where I stayed for rent (power bills), etc.

When I go out for any work, she calls me on phone very frequently asking where I am and why I am there even though I specifically inform her when leaving the home; and when I explain that on phone and when I return to home, at that moment, she used to be ready to yell and starts shouting at me, which makes neighhour disturb, in turn they complain to the owners and they used to warn and asked to vacate the house if any further altercation occurs.  this situation causes me very disturbing mindset, frurstating because I have to arrange money for shifting of house, and I have search for a new house in turn pay advance; which led to mental tyranny and used to lead a very compromising life situtaion.

Keeping in view of my lovely 2 daughters, I am facing this kind of situation very amicably, but it is very very frustrating as my source of income is being affected.

She used to go to her parent's house very frequently 2 times in a week along with my children, and at all times my children would suffer from fever, cold, and cough whenever she takes my children to their parent's house and many times I took my children to hospital as soon as they come from her parents house. When i told that it is not possible for me to come to their very frequently as it affects my job, she used to shout and yell like anything.  Even her parents are not bothered about my job or situations at my end.  This frequent commutation affected my children health all the time for which I have evidences of medical prescripttions.

Her parents and her brothers ill-treated me and always they used to drink alcohol and always force me to do the same.  I am social drinker, and that too very rarely.

At one time, when I started working on my computer, she started shouting all of a sudden that because of me her father got hypertension and diabetes, it seems and when I answered her she shouted at me for which I too answered and keeping in this in mind, she went to her house and asked me to come there.  I dropped her at her house, had tea there and I had returned to my place, which is 10-15 km away from her parent's house, she started calling me on phone frequently when I am with my friends place.

After my first daughter, I thought of having only one daughter due to my financial grounds, but she insisted to have another one; so I said okay and told her that after 1 or 2 years we can go for another one.  We, together decided for family planning I sometimes used condoms and she used to refuse that saying that she is allergic to condoms, so I bought her pills after contacting a qualified lady doctor , but even then she said that pills are harming her health and she wants to stop them.  day s went on like this, and one day, her brother casually met my uncle(my mothers elder brother) and told him that I am using pills and condoms.  Here, I wanted to say that this is very much a personal issue which is to be discussed between a wife and husband, which has been informed to their parents and brother by my wife, which made me feel absurd and guilty for this kind of situation.

At one place, she used to always say that she is suffering from back pain and creates a situation which compels me to take there to a qualified lady doctor. this used to happen every month for which I have to spent Rs. 1500 to 2000 every month, but she never used to take medications in full.  She used to use medications for 1 or 2 days and the rest she used to throw away.  this tells us that she wantedly does this so that I spend more money for no use.

She used to prepare food very tastily only on the 2 days prior and after the day I get my salary and after that she used to prepare food very badly, which I was not able to eat in lunch at my office, where I had to go to canteen.

LookingForHelpingHand

LookingForHelpingHand (Individual)     17 July 2014

FRIENDS, requesting you to provide me a good draft of the below-said facts and please let me know if the below mentioned facts are reasonable to prove her cruelty, please suggest.

These are all the points, please do correct them, so that I keep them on the record when giving to a lawyer.

In the initial days, her father used to come very frequently and used to take their house very frequently without my mother's or my permission, and if asked used to shout at us.  Her father once called on phone at early 1 a.m. and shouted at my mother, and my aunts using foul language under drunken influence.

When a caste meeting held and when asked about the above mentioned issue, he accepted that it is wrong on him and told that he will never do that wrong and then we took my wife to my place.

Neighbors when they talk to me in respectable manner, she used to exploit and defame me by shouting at me aloud so that neighbors hear.  The same happened at various locations where we used to stay at any house on rent.  Whenever, we shifted to a new place, she used to use more water and more water always washing more clothes even though not necessary, which made other co-tenants angry, which would lead to altercation; and alternatively she used to shout at me aloud with intention to exploit me, so that people around disrespect me.  By this erroneous behaviour I happened to change many locations spending lot of money on shifting and paying advances.

Whenever there is any festival, she used to perform all poojas till 3 p.m. without preparing tea and food even for me and my children.  If we ask to cook first and then go for pooja, she used to shout at me and some times at my mother as well.

Whenever I am tired, or feeling sad about anything about my office issues, etc, she used to observe and start yelling at me, so that I feel more and more worried and depressed instead of proving peace of mind at home; this many times made me suffer a lot mentally.

She used to watch for the last week of every month, and whenever I am struggling to adjust money for daily commodities, she used to waste lot of sweet oil, sugar and other daily commodities wantedly and she forced me to bring for more; this happens every month.  She knows my salary is 8000.00 and always she looks that no money is left with me by making me spend on more things by wasting sweet oil, sugar, milk like commodities, this caused more and more mental agony as I could not perform savings for my children or myself.

At one of the places, where we used to stay for rent, she used to take curries and other food items to neighbors home and she used to serve me only some.  Lot of times she used to take chappaties, dosas preparing more than required to serve to neighbors, which in turn has an effect on my purse where I have spend more money what is needed for my small family.

She used to quarrel for days together shouting and yelling that I have bring their family members to my place and spend time as per her will and wish.  When the same is conveyed to their parents via our elders, they used to tell her daughter not to, but the same thing used to repeat 2 to 3 months time, which makes me mentally upset most of the times.

As I am working from home, the above things showed a tremendous affect on my job performance, which led to low income month by month.  And when I feeling sad about this, she took this opportunity and used to shout and yell like anything on petty things more and more.

When I am working in my shift hours, instead of taking care and managing my 2 children, she used to leave them in the house, for which reason, I have to take frequent breaks to manage and look after my children and which made me worry more because this situation lowered my target,  which in turn has an affect on my performance and salary as a whole.

She used to see for a time when I am seriously working and exactaly at that point in time, she would start yelling and shouting, which used to make me very disturbed, in turn shows adverse affect on my job.

When I go out for any work, she calls me on phone very frequently asking where I am and why I am there even though I specifically inform her when leaving the home; and when I explain that on phone and when I return to home, at that moment, she used to be ready to yell and starts shouting at me, which makes neighhour disturb, in turn they complain to the owners and they used to warn and asked to vacate the house if any further altercation occurs.  this situation causes me very disturbing mindset, frurstating because I have to arrange money for shifting of house, and I have search for a new house in turn pay advance; which led to mental tyranny and used to lead a very compromising life situtaion.

Keeping in view of my lovely 2 daughters, I am facing this kind of situation very amicably, but it is very very frustrating as my source of income is being affected.

She used to go to her parent's house very frequently 2 times in a week along with my children, and at all times my children would suffer from fever, cold, and cough whenever she takes my children to their parent's house and many times I took my children to hospital as soon as they come from her parents house. When i told that it is not possible for me to come to their very frequently as it affects my job, she used to shout and yell like anything.  Even her parents are not bothered about my job or situations at my end.  This frequent commutation affected my children health all the time for which I have evidences of medical prescriptttions.

Her parents and her brothers ill-treated me and always they used to drink alcohol and always force me to do the same.  I am social drinker, and that too very rarely.

At one time, when I started working on my computer, she started shouting all of a sudden that because of me her father got hypertension and diabetes, it seems and when I answered her she shouted at me for which I too answered and keeping in this in mind, she went to her house and asked me to come there.  I dropped her at her house, had tea there and I had returned to my place, which is 10-15 km away from her parent's house, she started calling me on phone frequently when I am with my friends place.

After my first daughter, I thought of having only one daughter due to my financial grounds, but she insisted to have another one; so I said okay and told her that after 1 or 2 years we can go for another one.  We, together decided for family planning I sometimes used condoms and she used to refuse that saying that she is allergic to condoms, so I bought her pills after contacting a qualified lady doctor , but even then she said that pills are harming her health and she wants to stop them.  day s went on like this, and one day, her brother casually met my uncle(my mothers elder brother) and told him that I am using pills and condoms.  Here, I wanted to say that this is very much a personal issue which is to be discussed between a wife and husband, which has been informed to their parents and brother by my wife, which made me feel absurd and guilty for this kind of situation.

At one place, she used to always say that she is suffering from back pain and creates a situation which compels me to take there to a qualified lady doctor. this used to happen every month for which I have to spent Rs. 1500 to 2000 every month, but she never used to take medications in full.  She used to use medications for 1 or 2 days and the rest she used to throw away.  this tells us that she wantedly does this so that I spend more money for no use.

She used to prepare food very tastily only on the 2 days prior and after the day I get my salary and after that she used to prepare food very badly, which I was not able to eat in lunch at my office, where I had to go to canteen.

LookingForHelpingHand

gautam (not disclosed)     04 August 2014

The things that you mentioned in the email are not serious in nature to warrant divorce in the eyes of law. Further, how will you prove all these things?

Strongly suggest to see a marriage counselor first. With these points divorce not possible, If lawyer advises you that you can get divorce by the following points, he is lying.  Think before you act

What proofs do you have for the same? Events of earlier days won’t hold much grounds if lot of time has elapsed. In fact, restricting your wife to visit her parents can be proved as mental cruelty by you on her.

So the matter was solved by intervention of elders. No case of mental cruelty

These are trivial matters in the eyes of the court.  How will you prove this anyways?

Doing religious poojas during festivals is a good thing in the eyes of society, can’t you compromise for few festival days if she cooks later, again a trivial matter

Normal wear and tear in day to day relationship is usual in any matrimonial relationship

Very trivial matter in eyes of law

Looks like you financial situation  is the cause here and not your wife’s behaviour

Look at the real issue hidden somewhere beneath

Looks like your frustration on the career front is taking a toll on the relationship, take responsibility and don’t shift the blame on the wife

You should have thought of these before you decided to produce children, whether you are ready for taking responsibility, this point can backfire on you

Can’t be proved

Please look within, the problem is somewhere else

She used to go to her parent's house very frequently 2 times in a week along with my children, and at all times my children would suffer from fever, cold, and cough whenever she takes my children to their parent's house and many times I took my children to hospital as soon as they come from her parents house. When i told that it is not possible for me to come to their very frequently as it affects my job, she used to shout and yell like anything.  Even her parents are not bothered about my job or situations at my end.  This frequent commutation affected my children health all the time for which I have evidences of medical prescriptttions.

Again this statement will highlight your immaturity, nobody can force to drink alcohol to an adult

Having another daughter cannot be forced on you, again this will go against you. difficult to prove.

1 Like

LookingForHelpingHand (Individual)     04 August 2014

If so, Gautam, please let me know what can be the wife's cruelty against husband.  Any example case laws that you can provide me.

Thanks in advance.

LookingForHelpingHand

LookingForHelpingHand (Individual)     04 August 2014

Latest,

I have my wife's phone recording that she calling me "insane" while talking with her mother and my wife and her mother wants to take my 6-year-old daughter to a black magic person to tie a thread to my daughters hand without my concern.  They are superstitious in this manner for which I have complete telephonic recording.  Will this suffice as one of the Cruelty against me.

I am not in a hurry to go for divorce, but to observe and collect evidence.  Hence, my above doubt.

Thanks in advance.

LookingForHelpingHand

rising up again (FFF)     04 August 2014

Indian Laws are such - wife no matter how cruel , cannot be proved cruel...... but a husband....just on the basis of wife's allegation is considered cruel. then the husband proves that he is not. 

Cruelty can be termed as any mental, physical or emotional trauma faced by you...but you need to prove every bit u say...in a very convincing way. and your story (read; the petition) should be drafted in the  best possible way.....supported with photos of cruelty and possibly video's of the same. Install CCTV's in your house to record every cruel/ wrong she does to you. just remember  you need to be very smart in handling in all situations....  Never ever hit, abuse her.... rest let her do everything and anything she wants to do... 

1. CCTV's will calm her down as she would know she is being recorded every second. 

2. Keep all recordings as proof in a safe place. keep making a time line of the wrongs she has done with dates and detail of those incidences. 

3. After a few months, you would realize you have enough material with yourself to prove the CRUELTY on you.. 

Am no law expert so maybe others can give better law advices to you !!! i am just going through the same phase....so sharing my experiences.... 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register