LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

raveenasen (Manager)     07 March 2013

Using back dated stamp paper is legal or illegal? if illegal

Using Back dated stamp paper is legal or illegal? If illegal what are the consequences?

Learning

7 Replies

Advocate M.Bhadra   07 March 2013

Stamp paper has no limitation period to use of it or expiry date. A stamp paper can be used at any time after purchase of it, The Indian Stamp Act only fix a period to ge the refund of unused stamp papers i.e. six months from the date of purchase but it does not defines any where the time period for use of stamp paper.

Supreme court in its decision Dated : 19/02/2008, Case : Thiruvengada Pillai Vs Navaneethammal and Anr has calrified it.

1 Like

Advocate Kishor Hajare (Advocate)     08 March 2013

Sir,

It is not illegal but it should be bear in mind that, the stamp paper should bears the name of one of the party executing or using such stamp paper.

Sri Vijayan.A (Legal Consultant)     12 February 2014

It is not illegal.

But executing a deed back dated is offence.

Sri Vijayan.A (Legal Consultant)     12 February 2014

It is not illegal.

But executing a deed back dated is offence.

pulkit (owner)     01 April 2014

hi

i have legal query i have plot in industrial area which is lease hold,which is under partnership among my grandfather,father,mother.

my grandfather passed away so i entered the firm at his place.

so should i need to pay full stamp duty which is quite hefty.as it is changes among blood relations,no involvement of land divideation .

so please kindly guide me.

Sri Vijayan.A (Legal Consultant)     02 April 2014

What type of deed, you want to execute?

Pranesh Pandurangan (3rd party consultant)     11 December 2020

Hi There, 

Can we use stamp paper which is dated April 2019 for a executing a deed during Dec'2020. Experts please advice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register