Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

KCAH (Executive)     26 March 2012

Question regarding x-visa and bangladesi girl

Dear All,

I need few advice regarding my marriage. I am going to marry a Bangladeshi girl. If everything all right then she will be here in next month. Since she is Muslim and I am Hindu, we have to marry under special marriage registration act. But my biggest concern is converting her travel Visa to X-Visa. Is there anyway who can help me regarding this or any other marriage related advice? I am from Kolkata. If any immigration lawyer reading this please contact me.

Learning

2 Replies

Adv.Sandesh Patil (ADVOCATE)     26 March 2012

How to covert Tourist Visa to X Visa after getting married to an Indian citizen in India.

Many foreigners who fall in love and have their wedding in India understandably don't want to go back to their own country to get a new visa to be able to stay in India. Fortunately, marriage to an Indian citizen is one of the few grounds possible for conversion of Tourist Visa into X Visa in India. Unfortunately, the process is time consuming and lengthy.

Ideally, it is better to get the X visa in your own country if possible, just because it's so simple.  However, you can start the process in India and just see how it goes. At least that way you'll be able to remain in India until you're ready to leave.

Applying for Conversion from Tourist Visa to X Visa

The first step in the process is to apply for an extension of your Tourist Visa and conversion of the Tourist Visa into an X Visa (this is a residential visa without working rights). The only place in India that has the authority to authorize this is the Ministry of Home Affairs in New Delhi. You'll need to go to the Foreigner's Division, which specifically deals with visa issues, and have an interview there.

Here is the address: Ministry of Home Affairs, Foreigner's Division, Jaisalmer House, 26 Mansingh Rd, New Delhi.

There are two ways of scheduling your interview;

1.    Appointments can be made online, up to 30 days in advance, using the Online VISA Appointment Scheduling System, or

2.    Simply turn up and take a place in the line.

If you use the appointment scheduling system, be sure to print all documents including application form and appointment slip.

If you do decide to just turn up and join the queue, be sure to arrive there before the office opens. Around 8.00 a.m. is a good time, as people start lining up early. You'll be given a number/token at the reception counter and then instructed to go upstairs to the main room in another building (where the appointments take place). The reception counter there opens at around 10 a.m. The staff member will hand you an application form. Alternatively, you can download and print a copy of the form click following link (https://goindia.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=goindia&cdn=travel&tm=184&gps=425_259_1362_592&f=00&su=p531.56.342.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//mha.nic.in/pdfs/new_applicaton_form_visa.pdf)

You'll need to complete two copies of the form and submit it to the staff member at the reception desk, along with your token number and photocopies of supporting documents.

The documents that you'll require are: copy of passport and visa page, copy of passport of Indian spouse (or other documents that prove that he/she is Indian), copy of registered marriage certificate, and proof of residence. You'll also need passport sized photos.

The government officers who conduct the interviews arrive at around 11 a.m. and start calling people's names from the pile of forms that have been submitted. Interviews are typically quite short, and only last for around five minutes. You'll be told to return at around 5 p.m. to collect a letter with instructions to give to your local Foreigner's Regional Registration Office or Foreigner's Registration Office (outside major capital cities).

1 Like

KCAH (Executive)     27 March 2012

Wow that's a grate answer. I am really appreciate it. A very big thanx to you

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register