LIVE Course on Transfer Property Law | Price Hike in 4 days | Grab it now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mohit Sehgal   04 May 2017

Caught drinking Alcohol at public place

Hi my name is Mohit and I'm from New Delhi! I am 21 years old. I was caught by cops while drinking with my friends We were made to take the test for alcohol and they filed a charge sheet The cop said that we will by fined by the court We had to call a friend whose ID was noted and they let us leave. I am very very scared and this Will be the first time I am going to court. Can I get jailed for this ? Or will this have any consequences on my future like visa issues or job issues ? I will be respectful to the honourable Judge in every possible way . What is the maximum fine or penalty which can be given to me ? Please help me out


 6 Replies

Praveen Kumar (Intern Lawyer)     04 May 2017

Dear Mr. Mohit Sehgal,

The court can punished you for the crime acted by yourself as punishment given below:


40. Penalty for consumption of liquor in public place. – Whoever, in contravention of this Act or the rules, notification or order made thereunder - (a) consumes liquor in a public place; (b) consumes liquor in public place and creates nuisance; (c) permits drunkenness or allows assembly of unsocial elements on the premises of liquor establishment; shall be punishable, 1) in case of an offence falling under clause (a), with fine which may extend to five thousand rupees, 2) in case of an offence falling under clause (b), with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three months and fine which may extend to ten thousand rupees, 3) in case of an offence falling under clause (c), with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months and fine up to fifty thousand rupees. 


THE DELHI EXCISE ACT, 2009 (DELHI ACT 10 OF 2010) (As passed by the Legislative Assembly of the National Capital Territory of Delhi on the 14th December, 2009) 

Mohit Sehgal   04 May 2017

Thank you for your reply sir , My offense lies in the 1st category. The question is will this affect me in getting visa or job in corporate after I pay my fine ?

Archit Vasudeva (Advocate)     04 May 2017

Hi Mohit before giving an opinion tell me the place where u were fined and what was the quantity of alocol in your blood.

Mohit Sehgal   04 May 2017

It was a place behind a restaurant in Delhi and they made us blow in a machine it read around 46/100

Archit Vasudeva (Advocate)     04 May 2017

you can call me on 9899834398


Kumar Doab (FIN)     04 May 2017

Engage a good lawyer pay the fine and collect the receipt, complaint by police and keep record.

The record from police may be obtained thru RTI route.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query