Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

santa (Mg)     19 April 2011

Car Parking allotment

Dear all Lawyers,

Please help me on the parking issue.We had booked a flat in central suburbs of mumbai.At the time of booking, we were told by the marketing agent that the no. of car parks are equal to the no. of flats. Also informed that they  cannot sell parking spaces as per supreme court notification of sep 2010 and informed that  one car park will be earmarked for use in the common car park for each flat owner.However, he said that in the agreement common car park will only be mentioned.

Now after making all the payments, builder says that they had sold some 70% parkings before supreme court verdict and since some flat owners bought more than one car park, there is a crunch.He informed that once the soceity is formed  they will give the list of allotees to the society and for the rest of the car parking spaces that is not allotted. it is the society's call to allot based on auction, lottery etc

Since my agreement is already registered, He has given me a way out saying that he will sell (chq payment only) the car parking but under the head of some interior work  etc. He will include my name in the list of allotees and give to the society so that the society will automatically allot the parking to me..But he said he will not give any allotment letter as such,  as this is against supreme court verdict. Builder is trying to protect his own interest but not that of buyer.I feel the risk to buyer is very high.If society asks me a proof of the same in future,  then how can i justify as i do not have any doc informing that such car parking is allotted.Also when I want to sell the flat, how can i asssure the person who is buying the flat, that car parking is allotted.

Looking into these aspects, I'm thinking not to pay for the car parking without any proper documentation.Please inform if my decision is correct

Learning

9 Replies

akash kapoor (*************)     20 April 2011

You are taking the right decision.

1 Like

vswaminathan   20 April 2011

The impression given by the querist is that, - his is a building units of which having been sold as  'flats' (not as  'apartments');  and the provision for  'car parking' is in the open land ('common area') appurtenant to the building. If so, according to one's strict understanding of the applicable enactment, regardless of the common practice by builders, there can be no valid 'sale' of any such area, a specifically identified or demarked one at that, to any of the individual buyers. The SC's ruling seems to have simply given its interpretation of what the enactment says.

Besides, presumably, just as in some other States, there may be a mandate to be found in the development regulations of the governing local authorities, whereby the builder is, for obvious reasons, duty bound to leave adequate open space for car parking- at least for one car- by everyone of the 'flats' purchasers in a building complex.

No doubt, as one may have come to know, in particuar in recent years, there have been reported several unsavoury instances where the law and regulations have not been strictly - to the last letter and spirit- followed by the builders. Notwithstanding that, they  are or expected to have guided by and acted under profoundly proper legal advice. 

That being so, any individual purchaser, or the purchasers as a community, confronted with any such related  problem or practical difficulties, having own peculiarities, in order to safeguard and protect the legal rights and interests, will be well advised to act in consultation with and as per the advice of a competent but reputed and reliable professional.  

1 Like

santa (Mg)     20 April 2011

Dear Mr.Swaminathan,

Can you eloborate the difference between flat and apartment?

vswaminathan   21 April 2011

Such an elementary (basic) querey as the one raised by the reader (@ (?) Santa -with a blank profile?), as commented on by me earlier in another context, to say the least, - goes to bear clear testimony to the sadly prevailing common misconception in the minds of one and all, besides buyers-community, including advising professionals, of certain very crucial aspects having a bearing on ‘ownership’ and ‘enjoyment’ of the property – be it a ‘flat’ or an ‘apartment’.

For anyone really concerned, in order to knowing in brief, the answer to the vexing query may be found in the material already made available by me @this Site.

For clues, one may look up the earlier Posts in which the referred SC decision came to be commented on. Also, the BLog -'swamilook' may be useful.   

vswaminathan   21 April 2011

To continue:

The posts referred to in the last para of my previous mail are@ "SC Judgment on Stilt Car Parking" (seen on the left side of this Box).

So far I am aware, the builders in Mumbai , by and large, construct buildings of "flats", not of "Apartments"; unlike in cities like Bangalore. Should that be so also in the case herein, then, the querist will not have to necessarily bother about the legal position for 'apartments'; except, of course, for knowing in genaral, as a matter of academic interest.

1 Like

santa (Mg)     22 April 2011

Dear Mr.Swaminathan,

I had gone through your blog and thanks for the insight into the distinction b/w a flat and an apartment. Does the SC ruling over sale of parking space either open or covered, is with retrospective effect?

vswaminathan   22 April 2011

A seemingly good question; but it may be found answered, though not explicitly so as to enable a layperson to readily see.

To be explicit, the SC has, as is within its powers,  merely interpreted, rather clarified, what the law says. As such, in my conviction, any 'sale' made contrary to the law (also, as opined by the court),  regardless of when it is made (before or after the SC ruling) shoiuld be regarded as - 'non est' - that is, invalid in law.

In your own intersts, strongly suggest that, for any further action in contemplation, you should act in consulatation with a local profeassional, practising in property law matters (for, sadly, I am not one). 

Aditya Singhal (Manager)     31 July 2011

I want to know ..Should we pay for open car parking or not and what does the law says. Please can some one show us the law.

Sunil (CEO)     14 April 2012

My dear learned lawyer friends:

- SC or HC Judgement was on appeal prefererd by the plaintiff only on unsold parking

- No where any courts have ruled on sold parkings

- Parking owners were even not represented in any courts

How this judgement can have impact on sold parkings? Rulings on sold parkings must be sought saperarely and buyers of parking must get fair chance of representation. 

Views?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register