LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

fighting back (exec)     27 July 2013

Can i change my citizenship while dv 125 is going on?

i wanted to know if i can change my citizenship while the cases of 125 DV HMA24 divorce and RCR filed by wife are going on.

Due to my mothers previous citizenship of portugal, i am having the opportunity to convert my citizenship too of that country, presently i am an indian passport holder. but i intend to change my citizenship now..

can i change it while the cases are going on, or will have to wait till all the cases get over.?



 3 Replies

prakharved (Medical officer)     27 July 2013

@fighting back


It would be in your favour if you are able to get the passport of portugal. But you would also need to take into consideration what all laws are there in india for the trial of foreign nationals in india and in what way is the change in citizenship going to help you.


I think you should take advice from an experienced lawyer. Visit Here you can post your query and an detailed written reply would be provided to you by an experienced lawyer. You can also avail consultations with a personal lawyer on this matter through It is very essential that you get to know about your options well and for that i think you should take professional help.



1 Like

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     27 July 2013

You can change your citizenship when the cases are going on there is nothing illegal in doing that. No need to wait till the cases are over.

1 Like

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     27 July 2013

as your mother is holding means you have the right to change the citizenship of protugal but consult a visa experts for the work done and the formalities rather then a lawyer because if criminal cases are pending then only you will hve problem 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register