LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ravit (n/a)     29 June 2012

Bifurcation of minimum wages

Dear Team, One of my client bifurcating minimum wages like below (For ex): Basic:1800 HRA:900 CA:800 Spl.All:1800 Other All:2000 Total: 7300/- and they are paying PF contribution on Basic plus Splecial Allowance. My query is that, is this fair legal practice? if not give me the details why it is not fail legal practice. Regards, Ravi Kumaar T 09844866849

Learning

3 Replies

Uttam Maheshwari (Associate)     29 June 2012

Dear Mr. Ravit,

There are two conflicting judgments on this issue. The one which is often cited by the provident fund authorities is that of Group 4 Securities v. RPFC, 2004 (II) LLJ 1142 (Karnataka)(DB) wherein the PF authorities have been held to be empowered to determine whether basic wages have been split to avoid liability under provident fund. However, as per the judgement in APFC v. G4S Security Services (India) Limited, 2011 LLR 316 (P&H), as minimum wages prescribed under the Minimum Wages Act, 1948 have not been adopted under the EPF Act, 1952, therefore, the employer has the right to exclude allowances like HRA, washing, conveyance, from the ambit of the basic-wages for purposes of remittance of provident fund.

Further, since the observations made by Hon'ble Karnataka HC have been set-aside by Hon'ble Supreme Court, therefore, in my humble opinion, it is legal for the employer for reasonable splitting up of wages to minimise the provident fund liability.

Best,

Uttam Maheshwari, Advocate

Uttam Maheshwari (Associate)     29 June 2012

Dear Mr. Ravit,

There are two conflicting judgments on this issue. The one which is often cited by the provident fund authorities is that of Group 4 Securities v. RPFC, 2004 (II) LLJ 1142 (Karnataka)(DB) wherein the PF authorities have been held to be empowered to determine whether basic wages have been split to avoid liability under provident fund. However, as per the judgement in APFC v.G4S Security Services (India) Limited, 2011 LLR 316 (P&H), as minimum wages prescribed under the Minimum Wages Act, 1948 have not been adopted under the EPF Act, 1952, therefore, the employer has the right to exclude allowances like HRA, washing, conveyance, from the ambit of the basic-wages for purposes of remittance of provident fund.

Further, since the observations made by Hon'ble Karnataka HC have been set-aside by Hon'ble Supreme Court, therefore, in my humble opinion, it is legal for the employer for reasonable splitting up of wages to minimise the provident fund liability.

Best,

Uttam Maheshwari, Advocate

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     29 June 2012

There could be conflicting views by EPF authorities and the Courts, on the allowances specifically excluded under the EPF Act & Scheme. However, there could not be a conflict where the definitions under the Act/Scheme are certain. Please check the definition of "basic wages"  under the EPF Act, Section 2(b) and the exclusions - (ii) any dearnessless allowance (that is to say, all cash payments by whateer named called/paid to an employee on account of a rise in the cost of living)........

The dearness allowance is included under Chapter V, 29 Contributions - EPF Scheme for reckoning the contribution

Hence all those allowances split out of the components of minimium wages prescribed, particularly Special Allowance, CCA etc. would definitely attact PF contribution.

Vasudevan 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register