Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     31 October 2010

Babus not taking dowry related laws seriously

CITY BABUS GIVE DOWRY RULES A PASS

Very few of us are aware that we are supposed to submit a list of gifts that we received at the time of marriage to a dowry prohibition officer. The rule goes back to 1961 when the government, in its effort to curb the dowry menace, enacted the Dowry Prohibition Act. And to ensure that central and state government officials “practised what they preached” (till recently in Bihar, the dowry rate for an IAS officer was Rs 1 crore) they have to submit an affidavit declaring that they did not take or give dowry. However, most officials are unaware of the rule.

The Hyderabad dowry prohibition officer, when quizzed about the code of conduct rules for government employees and whether the affidavit was to be submitted by everyone, was not very sure and asked us to check their website.

“It is obviously a social menace,” says Ashok Chakravarti, inspector, Punjagutta police station, “What is even more unfortunate is that 80 per cent of government employees are not aware and the remaining 20 per cent don’t care.”

But in a system known for corruption, bureaucratic hurdles and lack of efficiency, it might not be possible or even practical to perform a background check on all employees. “With fewer people willing to work in government jobs and many posts lying vacant, whether or not an employee abides by the code of conduct is usually overlooked,” says district medical health officer Dr Jaya Kumari.

Added to this is the confusion on whether central government rules apply to state government employees or not. Cyber crimes inspector Uma Maheshwar says, “I know that such a rule exists, but it is not mandatory.” However, Akun Sabharwal, DCP, Central Zone, says, “I knew about this and submitted an affidavit when I got married. “There may be a few cops who take dowry, may be not in the wrong sense but because of traditional customs. Streedhan is the custom where the bride’s parents give gifts to their daughter as part of the her right to her parents’ property,” he adds.

While it is not a law, the code of conduct is expected from all and the government can’t hope to tackle this problem unless it can weed out defaulters. But who is to blame for this muddle? As always we point the finger at the government, but Dr K. Narender, head of department of Mass Communication in OU thinks this is unfair. “We can’t keep blaming the government,” he says, “We also need to become responsible.”

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/tabloids/city-babus-give-dowry-rules-pass-355

Learning

18 Replies

(Guest)

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     31 October 2010

babu means?

employee of state police or bus conductor?

1 Like

(Guest)

Ya Roshni tell me The defination of  Babuji Jara Dhere Chlo;)

BABUS

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     31 October 2010

ohk babuji dheere chalna.....

anyways jokes apart , this shud be implemented strictly

also there shud be a nationwide advertisement campaign funded by NCW to stop dowry from 2011 and girls shud not marry if dowry is being given in their marriage . if even after this big ad campign any girl / parents of girl allege giving dowry at a later date dp3 shud be applied on girls parents and girl too.

both sides need to be punished if any gift except for clothes worn by bride on marriage day are gifted.

1 Like

@ avnish

v.good advice.agree with all your words fully..

1 Like

i think babus mean all govt. employees of india.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     01 November 2010

last 20 years, i do not know how many marriages happened with dowry.

but last 20 years i saw less than 20 cases where girls refuses to marry, due to dowery.

actually we the people of india do not take dowry as serious as the law is.

we change our positionat per our convinience.

1 Like

(Guest)

The newly wedded girl is treated as a gold mine and failing of which leads the in-laws treat her as combustible material and resultant is the commitment of suicide by the bride.

To start with even modern, well-educated families start saving up money for their daughter's dowry as soon as she is born so what can one expect from the uneducated masses, whose only form of education is tradition? 

Come festivals like Diwali or Holi, and the parents of the daughter flood her in-laws with gifts.

she does not comply at a great personal risk, and high emotional cost, and often sustain resistance for dowry। Dowry in the society is deep rooted due to social, economical, biological an even legal loopholes

Indian women do not let them accept the failure of the marriage nor let them break the same for shame or for the dignity of her parents and end up killing themselves

‘Kanya’ means the gal and ‘Dana’ means the gift. According to Rig Veda it was believed that without presenting ‘Dakshina’ to the bride the custom of ‘Kanyadan’ is incomplete. Hence ‘Kanyadan’ and ‘Varadakshina’ became intimately associated. 

Wife was considered as ‘ardhangini’.

In the last 20 years, Though much legislation and measures have been taken to abolish dowry prevalent in the society it’s still predominant in the society in some or the other form.

The Parliament amended the Penal Code in 1986 to explicitly provide that dowry deaths are punishable with imprisonment between seven years and life. 

Finally, in addition to criminal laws, the Parliament amended the Indian Evidence Act, which now creates a presumption of dowry death whenever a woman is subjected to dowry-related cruelty or harassment soon before her death. Criminal procedure also establishes need of investigating into any suspicious death or suicide of any women within a period less than 7years as of marriage.

Providing your daughter with a solid education, and encouraging her to pursue a career of her choice is the best dowry any parent can ever give their daughter.  In a nutshell we need to respect human life (women or men and animal also) and its dignity which is gradually being snatched coercively from the women।

BABUS

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     01 November 2010

some of you may not like to read this,still i will say this..

that if the britishers had banished the dowry system in their times,like they banished sati,today's women wud not be facing this evil.....i think laws during british time were taken more seriously by people than they are now.

to prove this:

when we go abroad,we follow their laws strictly.but when we return to india,we become lawless again...we dont take our present laws and the govt. seriously...yet want to be pampered by govt when it comes to rights.

eg:the feminists will fight tooth and nail when a gal is harassed for dowry,yet when they attend a relative's marriage where they witness dowry giving/taking,they keep quiet.

(Guest)

@Roshni B

Thanks !!!!:P

YOu said ,"If the britishers had banished the dowry system in their times,like they banished sati,today's women wud not be facing this evil.....i think laws during british time were taken more seriously by people than they are now."

Very intelligent thought by you and I welcome you but I don’t know why britishers not  banished the dowry system? They banished the sati system as with the help of raja ram mohan  roy.

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     01 November 2010

even i dont know why:)

maybe they thought it's a custom and dint intervene...people were not so materialistic at that time also that they will demand cars,property,furniture etc like now.a if a lady was v.virtuous and knew all skills like sewing,cooking etc some families may be accepting her without dowry also(unlike now where even highly educated working gals have to shell out dowry)

earlier they had child marriages also....so their inlaws must be having soft corner so as not to burn them:).

when they demanded dowry from parents,parents must be fulfilling demands instantly to save marriage.those who cud not must be forced to take the daughters bak...so no protests from parents and daughters...mainly no  one stood up against this practice since it was quite an accepted norm happening withing 4 walls of the house,while sati happened in outdoors..so it attracted their attention....also since it was so inhuman.

(Guest)

Answer is very simple. Britishers save the lives but left the India sontinue with PONGAPANTH so never come up from the warship of snakes and stones.

(Guest)

Sorry for typing mistake, it is "continue" and not "sontinue"

(Guest)

So, it means that todays women position is good not the BEST but compare to britishers time its good .

Read this https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/news/Death-penalty-should-be-given-to-those-killing-for-dowry-SC-11859.asp

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register