LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ramchander S (Mech Engg)     30 March 2021

Agricultural to non agricultural land - maharashtra



What exactly is the procedure to convert Agricultural to Non-Agricultural land In Yavatmal, Maharashtra? What would also be the cost? /


Thanks, Ram


 2 Replies

aditi srivastava   30 March 2021

respected sir

In India, land is a state subject, and, consequently, laws governing it are different in each state. Depending on the state you reside in, you have to approach either the revenue department or the planning authority in your city to convert your agricultural land for residential purposes. In states such as Maharashtra, Karnataka, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh, for instance, land owners have to approach the revenue departments of their cities for the conversion.

The person seeking conversion will have to provide a long list of documents along with an application, in which they have to specify for what purpose they are seeking the land-use conversion, apart from mentioning all the details pertaining to the said land parcel.

Some of the documents that the applicant will have to produce along with the application include:

  • Identity proof
  • Sale deed
  • RTC (record of rights, tenancy and crops)
  • Partition deed (in case the land has been inherited)
  • Mutation documents
  • Survey map
  • Receipt of payment of land revenue, etc.

It may, however, take a long time before the applicant is able to get the certificate. The Maharashtra Land Revenue Code, 1966, for example, provides a 90-day limit within which the order for conversion should be issued.Under section 44 of the Maharashtra Land Revenue Code 1966, before carrying out any development on the land, an eligible person has to apply to the collector for the permission to convert the use of agricultural land for any non-agricultural purpose, or to change the use of land from one non-agricultural purpose to another non-agricultural purpose.


Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     01 April 2021

It is a State subject, it is better to seek advise of local lawyer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register