Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bals (Executive)     23 July 2016

Agreement of sale

Hi All,

I & my mother have entered into an agreement of sale in 2011, to sell the land of 100 sq yards which my father owns the title, however he was expired in 2009. The legal heirs of this property are Myself, my mother & two sisiters(married).

My both sisters who are  the other legal heirs of the property had not entered in this agreement & was not aware of this contract. 

Here in this agreement myself & my mother(expired in 2014) entered into the agreement, to sell the property for 7 lakhs for which we received a consideration of Rs 1 lakh. 

The buyer after this transaction he insisted to get the signatures of the other two legal heirs(sisters), who not at all the parties of the agreement. I refused to do so & thought to cancel the agreement.

The buyer filed a suit for specific performance in 2012 & got an exparte injuction for the same. We also along with my sisters filed a counter suit, that without the signatures of the other legal heirs we cannot perform the duty as per the agreement.

Now the two cases attached and are in same court & pending for trails.

So, I want to know the validity of the Agreement of sale without the signatures of total number of legal heirs. My mother expired in between. 

The above said property is not partitioned yet.

What could be the end result? Will the court orders me to perform my part on this property(which is not partitioned) or will it direct me to refund the advance consideration amount with interest.

Thank you,

Regards,      

Bala Shivudu. 

Learning

4 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     23 July 2016

Sir, 

You have been very smart into entering an agreement without your sisters signature and now you are asking the validity of the agreement.   The court can ask you both the releifs at the same time. Better is to settle out of the court. 

Warm Regards 

Kapil Chandna Advocate 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 July 2016

Thats right.

Augustine Chatterjee,New Delhi (Advocate & Solicitor at Law)     23 July 2016

In the present case, the provisions of section 13 of the specific releif act shall apply. If at all you have entered into a contract qua a property which is niot absolutely under your ownership, then the same might be subject to a decree of specific performance as per the provisions of sectionn 13 of the specfic releif act.

Also remember that in casde you have agreed to transfer your share only and not the absolute property, then the same contract is enrforceable as the same requires no interventionn from the end of your sister.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     24 July 2016

You have been advised briefly, but with required detail.

Prefer to settle out of court.

Rest is upto you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register