Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manjulanathan (Personal)     02 March 2012

Action on secretary of apartment owners association...

I am a member in our new apartment welfare association since 6 months in Chennai (TN). The Secretary is very very irresponsible and serves different menu for different people. The Secretary is very very short tempered and uses abusive language in you ask him any questions or does not listen to him. In short he is a HITLER type.

Everyone is scared of the Secretary of the association because he is having close contacts with the builder of the apartment and is infact working for builder also besides his wife is owning the flat in the apartments.

Recently I had serious verbal arguments with the Secretary because I got vexed up with this irresponsible behaviour. Since then he stopped talking to me. He (Secretary) avoids me. He also warned me that he will Cut Water Supply to my Flat and will not accept any Monthly Maintenance charges from me. I understand his mind and he is waiting for me for a default in Monthly Maintenance charges. He has told all people working / security / cleaning & maintenance staff in the apartment to neglect me. He started harassing me by not accepting Monthly Maintenance Charges from me. I am really worried with his behaviour. I informed to President of our association but he is help less because the Secretary is having close contacts with Builder as builder is owing 40 flats in the apartment. Please advise me what sort of action I can take on this Secretary of Apartment Flat Owners Welfare Association because he is not collecting Monthly Maintenance from me and threatening to disconnect water supply. Everyone supports Secretary because of his nature and close relationship with the builder. 

Please advice what action I can take on this Secretary of Apartment Owners Association. How I can protect my Rights without  loosing my Self Respect. 

Thanks in advance. Manjunath Chennai

Learning

7 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     21 March 2012

In Tamilnadu apartment buildings are required to be registered under the Tamilnadu Apartment Ownership  Act, 1997. Most buildings have ignored this Act. In some buildings Welfare Associations are formed and registered under the Societies Registration Act. Also there are many buildings with unregistered associations. I do not know as to which category your Association belongs. Do you have byelaws and if so have you got a copy of the same. Has your Association got a letter head? Does it give the rigistration details?

The Association cannot cut off water supply to any flat. If they do that  you can easily (of course you will have to pay lawyers) get court injunction against the Association.

In any case only after you answer all my questions that I can give a definite reply.

Also you write a registered AD letter saying that the Association is not accepting dues from you and that you are prepared to pay the dues if Secretary would accept it.

vswaminathan   20 October 2012

@ Dr. MPS Ramani

Points made are prima facie quite forthright, further valid.

The buyers' woes. hardships faced / coming to be increasingly aired , are , to say the least, not uncommon even in other States (instance- Karnataka; why, for that matter, lately,  also Maharashtra.

For sharing, in the common good, one will find that there is no dearth of useful input in public domain.

If inerested, look up the particularly devoted websites like- citizenmatters, apartment adda,  commonfloor, so on...

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 November 2012

Maharashtra, especially Mumbai, unlike cities in the South like Chennai and Bengaluru, has a very long tradition of apartment buildings. In the good old days they were mostly organised into co-operative societies of the open plot type. Such societies were mostly formed by middle-class people in need of accommodation. A number of them will join together and form and register as a co-operative society, purchase land, get loans from financing agencies, get the building with flats constructed, and then allot the flats to individual members.  In due course builders started constructing buildings and sell the flats to individual purchasers. The flat owners register themselves as a co-operative society. There is a law that when certain percentage of flats is sold, the builder himself must initiate action to form and register a co-operative society. When all the flats are sold the builder will lease and it will be for the members to manage the Society. Besides co-operative societies there are also condominiums. The flat owners in this case will form an association, to manage the affairs and register with the Charity Commissioner under the Societies Registration Act. In Maharashtra every registered society has also compulsorily register as a Public Trust under the Public Trusts Act.

There is also, of late another trend. When the Government Housing Boards construct buildings and allot to applicants, the Board itself forms an Association of the applicant members, frame the byelaws and register with the Registrar of Assurances.

The co-operative societies will be under the Co-operative Department of the State Government. Each Municipal Ward will have an Assistant Registrar, who has the power of the Registrar under the Co-operative Societies Act. It is mandatory that each society should have its own byelaws, which should be approved and registered with the Assistant Registrar having jurisdiction. Any member having a grievance need only have to write to the Assistant Registrar, who will forward the complaint to the Managing Committee of the Society and ask for their comments. After receiving the reply from the Society the Registrar may call a meeting of both the parties and hear them. Any order issued by the Registrar after hearing the parties will have the force of the order of a court of law. Either party can appeal to the co-operative court if not satisfied with the order of the Registrar.

The grievance redressal mechanism is administered by the Charity Commissioner in the case of condominiums. But it is not as efficient as in the case of Co-operative Societies. One will have to approach the Civil Courts for redressal of grievances.

The apartment complexes registered with the Registrar of Assurances are the worst. They will always have to go to civil court only for redressal of grievances.

When looking at the grievances of individual members one should not lose sight of  the other side either. The Committee of any Society or Association are only ordinary members elected to the posts. Like other members each one of them has his own vocation and he does the Societies work during his spare time and that too in an honorary capacity. There are also members, who harass the Hon. Chairman and Hon. Secretary. For a member it is his own case and he will spare his time to meet the lawyer and attend court hearings and he has to attend the court only where his own case is involved. But the Hon. Secretary has to spare his valuable time for all cases where the Society is a party. In many Societies it is very difficult to get nominations to the election of Managing Committee. Most members are selfish and look for their own interests only

In places like Chennai it is virtual anarchy that prevails. There are no efficient laws and politicians in power do not appear to be interested. Courts and judgments will help only if there are laws in the first place.

vswaminathan   03 November 2012

With particular reference to the latest observations by Dr MPS Ramani, and as a follow-on / further feedback, attention is invited to the comprehensive posts @https://praja.in/en/blog/m... Some of them may be found to have a direct reference to the unsavoury practices in recent times in the state of Maharashtra.

And the last one

@ https://praja.in/en/blog/murali772/2009/07/30/should-multi-storied-apartment-complex-association-register-itself-under-s#comment-31565

is of relevance to certain observations in the last of the Posts herein.

The several Blogs posted with pure and simple object of sharing own thoughts/ views on varying topics may be accessed/ readily viewed

@ https://vswaminathan-vswaminathan-swamilook.blogspot.in/?view=mosaic

OR (more easily)

Any interaction/ reply feedback from the fraternity / also others is earnestly solicited; but should that serve the avowed purpose of common good / interest of the people at large.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     03 November 2012

Mr. Manjunath, who posted this topic 8 months ago appears to have left. Then what are we doing here? Let us also quit. If anyone wants to continue let him give a new post.

vswaminathan   04 November 2012

Why NOT! Any day,in the ultimate analysis, the suggestion to 'quit' (exit), as a policy, particularly if regard be had to the field realities, cannot be seriously faulted. For, as socalled practical wisdom would dictate,  the underlying philosphy in the old saying - 'let the sleeping dog lie' ('dog' = ''law'), which after all is THE HOBSON"s choice, can never loose its relevance; especially, in our modern times , in which there is so much of ignorance (of law), leaving no other choice execept to gracefully accept / concede, and obligingly  'enthrone' / accept it (-the ignorance), in all humility !

Let us exit !! 

Rider>

May i humbly suggest to the Admn.,- so as to save everyone concerned from the hassle of pursuing/following on, as some others do (e.g. Business line), THIS:

It will be deemed a favour if , wherever/whenever it is strongly felt and prudently decided that it is desirable to put an end to further 'inputs /comments ‘on any such post (whatever be its significance /importance or usefulness from the viewpoint of 'common good'/ informative value), to indicate /inform the users/subscribers  to the effect, - 'comments closed'.

Hope also the others partaking in this august forum (particularly, the enlightened Experts) will agree and vote for the inevitable  suggestion! 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     04 November 2012

The administration does close threads. But it is mostly when the discussion deteriorates into mudslinging. Also they should close a thread, where no interest is shown by any for several months, particularly when the original post is one seeking an advice but he or she becomes silent thereafter. As I said, one can always start a new one on the same subject or a related subject.

Here only two are debating and the member who posted the original one is not one of the two.

It is possible to contact the administration through the specified link and put forth any suggestion.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register