Registration of conversion of religion


I have read many posts that talk about how to convert to another religion. And the answer is contact the religious institution.

However I would like to know is there a requirement to register the conversion with any local/central government office? If yes what is the process or is it sufficient to just make an affidavit on a notary?

If one do not register the conversion to any government office what would he be considered in front of law?

Thanks in advance for any legal advice.


there is not any law relating the change in religion it is your basic rights that you can change your religion.


@Avadhesh Paliwal : Sir, if change the religion is basic rights then, Sir,why in Gujarat if anybody wants to change his religion,  first of all he need to send a notice to the local district collector officer to take permission?, if collector officer accept then only you can change your religion,,,, and all this procedure take time from 15 days to 6 months.

the law is same for all india than why we need this permission from district collector ?


@Mr Avadhesh: Ironically there is a something called Freedome of Religion Act. To the best of my knowledge it is an act that makes it mandatory for you to register but it is applicable at state level in MP, Orissa, HP or may be others that I am not aware of. And this is precisely my question. What other states enforce this or similar kind of law. Are there any states where there is no law but still you are forced to do so?


Mr Karma is mentioned it correctly about the district collector permission. But as far as know there is no such law in Gujrat. However since this is India its possible the authorities are enforcing it.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


Search Forum:


  LAWyersclubindia Menu