I am Kannan, and my birth name(name in birth certificate) is Singaram. My parents gave the name Kannan to the school records. In my school they saw my birth certificate and asked for a name change document. My father applied for a change of name in Tamilnadu Government press and obtained the copies of Gazette. From then on through out my entire life till this day I was using the name Kannan which means in all my other documents (SSLC, HSC and College Mark sheets, TC, Driving License, Ration Card). Now I need to apply for a passport and there arises a name conflict between birth certificate and other documents.
The problem is the copies of gazette which I had are lost and I dont remember the date or any number related to this document.
1. Is there any chance for me to get new copies of the Gazette?
2. Is it legal to again apply for a name change?
3. If legal then how should I apply for it. Is it with my old name(Singaram) to new name (Kannan)? or ?
4. What should be the supporting documents for my name change?
Please advice me on this and let me know about the legal aspects I should consider. Thanks for your valuable time.
note: about obtaining new copies of Gazette in tamilnadu, I read from the http://www.tn.gov.in/citizen/dsp.htm as follows. I guess the Gazette would have been applied for me around the year 1999 - 2000. So its above one year to get new copy, so is it now not possible to get a copy at all?
3. How to obtain copies of the Gazette : The person who remits the correct amount as specified in the format will be supplied to his address with five copies of the part of the Gazette wherein the change name has been published. For obtaining further copies, the Assistant Director, Publication Depot, Chennai-2 may be contacted.
Note: Gazettes are retained for a period of one year only for sales. Hence, people are advised to get the required number of copies as soon as they are published.