LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Website preaching bigamy..

One of my acquaintances got married to an Indian (Hindu) UAE resident in 2006.

She stayed with him for 7-8 months during which she was abused immensely by him.She came for a 2 month holiday to India where she lived with her inlaws alone,who also abused her a lot.So she returned to her parents' home but kept trying to contact her husband to take her back.But since then she got deserted by him as he changed his jobs and addresses twice but never informed her.2.5 years later she discovered that he had put up his matrimonial profile in a very famous religious Hindu website,where he gave his marital status as "separated",even though they are not even legally separated.
So she wrote to its owner and also sent her the marriage certificate to prove that she's married to him.

But the owner was very rude and sided with this man even without knowing him personally.She investigated this matter by just asking him the truth,and obviously he will never say that he deserted her.So he gave a picture that he is living separately mutually with his wife,and that his family was harassed a lot by her.The owner just believed him and refused to remove his profile.Rather she harassed the already harassed wife by lecturing her that the wife has to be submissive to her husband at all costs.If the man deserts her,she must have provoked him.Even if he's faulty and deserted her, the girl should not live with her parents but like a destitute in some religious city like Haridwar by the side of The Ganga all her life,and let her husband remarry(even without a divorce) because Hindu religion permits it.If she wants to return to him,she must bow down to him and seek his apology((no matter how cruel he is)If he deems it fit,he may/may not call her.

Rather she also forwarded all these lectures to this husband,so that he also realises that he's not faulty in posting his profiles,and that Hindu religion fully supports him.

The actions and words of this owner further intensified her trauma and pain.

Can the wife sue this owner for using such words,and preaching bigamy like this?And for also refusing to remove his profile?

The owner,though Indian lives in USA.

Please suggest what action can be taken?

 7 Replies

Vishwa (translator)     17 November 2010

If your acquaintance was abused by this man and also by his family in India, why does she want to go back to this man? What was she doing in the so-called matrimonial site, browsing for a second husband. Her issue, if any, is with her husband and the website is a secondary matter. Nobody can try to control what goes on in 'net'. I think your "acquaintance" is some kind of masochist seeking out trouble. She would do best to move on, do something with her life.


file a criminal complaint in cyber crime. 

file a writ before the concerned High court to get remedy to ban the website or to remove the profile.

file a domestic violence case before the concerned protection officer.

consult a local lawyers 

1 Like

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     17 November 2010

vishwa jee,u wont understand

many indian women want to continue in same marriage as they treat it as a lifetime affair.

so hats off to your sensitivity..

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     17 November 2010

@ ganesan jee

can petition be filed in indian high court,since the website owner lives in USA?

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     17 November 2010

I think, writ will be proper to get the profile removed, or if they will not follow the Indian rule the  web site can be banned.

But one will have to prove that profile belong to the same person.


author can also give advertisement in the news paper that he is a married man and not legally separated, so that other girls can be saved.

1 Like

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     17 November 2010

ashutosh jee,i appreciate your last sentence abt declaring in newspapers that he's a married man.

but tell me wud it not amount to defamation of the boy.he can say that my wife is defaming me by writing about me in newspapers.

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     17 November 2010

What the husband doing is pure fraud, there would be no defamation, also the author should ask in writting from the web site that whose profile is that and who is handling the affair to confirm, otherwise the person may say that someone else has created the profile, also ask them to confirn whether the details/particular/information entered is true or else they may say that by mistake it has been entered, Also keep the link as well as screen shot of that profile, or there is a chance that the marital status of the profile may get changed..


Author should inform this to the court, if the case is pending.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

LCI Learning Hindu Laws

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query