LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Deepak (Senior SW engineer)     04 September 2013

Threats from wife and divorce

I am working in Bangalore. I got married on 30th November 2010 in my hometown. It was an arranged marriage. The girl was from nearby town however spent most of her time in Maharashtra due to her father’s job. She completed her Engineering and was working as a lecturer when we got married. After the marriage got fixed in Jan-10, she told me about her affair in college which lasted for 3-4 days (note this point). I accepted it and moved on. After engagement in May-10, she and her family told us about her prominent feminine issues. We still decided to go ahead with this relation. Before marriage I used to tell her that we don’t want any dowry from your family as we are self-sustained lot. For our marriage, reception was combined and we spent half the money for garden and paid per plate cost for our guests. She used to talk in very bad manner that she will not enter my home without some amount. Her family gave me a check of 75000 rupees which I deposited in my old account and gave the ATM card to her.

After marriage, she stayed with my parents for 2 weeks before coming to Bangalore to me. During that time she went to her hometown for 3-4 days and when she came back, out of curiosity, my mother asked her if she got any new dresses from her home. Wife felt offended and cursed my mother that she is greedy for dowry and complained this to me. Since she came to Bangalore my parents never visited for next 8 months. Her parents and grand-parents came and stayed for 20 days or so. She used to complain that I don’t behave properly with her relatives and friends. We were fighting almost every week over pity issues. I made her join coaching and spent 6000 rupees. Fights got escalated and in Sept-11, her mother and uncle came and took her back after insulting my mother and me. With lots of effort from my family, she came back in Jan-12. However, after she came back, she used to insult me in front of my friends. She blamed me for her failure in not getting jobs in Bangalore. I spent more than 25000 rupees on her coaching (AGAIN) and getting her vehicle transferred to Bangalore. We were not enjoying the intimate moments now. There was no pressure from my family for working on expanding family, but she used to tell me that she is being forced. Over a 1,00,000 rupees have been spent over her health issues in last 2 years or so. I used to plan for vacations to different places and she used to fight or not let me touch her.

With all things going wrong, I got distracted to my old girlfriend who was now married and about whom, I never told my wife. I met my ex-girlfriend 3-4 times but we did not have any intimate relation after or before marriage. My wife came to know about this and started fighting with me and decided to inform my parents. I have written proof that I apologized for my deeds and wanted her to forgive me. Even my parents apologized her and seek her forgiveness. She was not ready to forgive but stayed with me because she was willing to travel with me to USA for 3 months. Due to lack of passport she could not travel and blamed me for conspiring against her. In my absence she came to Bangalore and collected all her belongings, god/goddess idols and all the jewelry items which my mother bought for her and went back to her hometown. I have been asking for sorry since last 4 months and she did not respond. Now, she has threatened me and family for dowry case. The ATM card is still with her and she has spent all the money in her brother’s marriage in Dec-12. I have been sending her money since then and she is using it regularly. After coming back to India, I informed her and called her. There is no response from her side.

My query is that shall I go for Parivar paramarsh Kendra or go for section 9 in hindu marriage act? Also, if I go for any such option is there any way she can be harmful? I and my family no longer want to be in this relation. I do not have any proof that she has been doing mental torture but she does have the proof that I had an affair after marriage. Please suggest me a safe way out.

Learning

2 Replies

aniln (none)     04 September 2013

Are you sure things will ever change between you and this women? Talk to a psychiatrist.

Else sell/transfer all or most of your immovable property/assets to a trustful person in secrecy. Wait for a few months and divorce her. It is good that you don't have any kids. Use this opportunity and escape from this sad life.

Deepak (Senior SW engineer)     11 November 2013

Thanks Anil. I dont think anything will change with this lady. Her outlook towards the world itself has been very negative. She has already defamed me and my family in front of my relatives and friends. Please let me know if I have a property in joint name of me and my mother, can it be claimed by my wife in case of divorce? Will it be recommended if I take some loan and reduce monthly salary so as to reduce maintainance, if payable?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register