New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bipin Kumar   07 August 2023

Spelling mistake in e-stamp

Hi Experts,

I have purchased my home 2 years back. In the e-stamp duty certificate, my name has a spelling mistake. Instead of 'Bipin' its typed as 'Vipin'. Rest of sale deed pages have correct name as 'Bipin'. At the time of registration, the sub register officer missed to see the wrong spelling in the stamp and used/locked it for the sale deed registration. 

Now I am trying to transfer my home loan to another bank and they are not sanctioning the loan because of that spelling error in the stamp.
I checked with e-stamping authority and they said, rectification is not permitted in the locked stamps.
So i wanted to know is it really a legal reason for bank to reject my loan application? if yes, whats the way forward to resolve this issue ?




 4 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     07 August 2023

Did you file the indent with the correct name and value of the e-stamp issue authority at the time of purchase?  If so the authority can take permission from the nic. of the state Govt. to rectify the mistake or the authority shall issue a certificate that as per indent the name is........... and it is typed in the endorsement.  


It is possible through a Rectification Deed cost of which is negligible. 



Bipin Kumar   08 August 2023


Thanks for your response. 

As I mentioned in my post, the e-Stamping Dept said rectification is not permitted once the stamp is locked. Is there a legal process to get the rectification done for the locked stamps?
Regarding the certificate stating my correct name,  Is it legally possible to ask them for such a certificate? I am afraid they will refuse to issue the certificate as well. 





kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     08 August 2023

For mistakes, a letter only is not a problem.  I have already said that it is state Government nic may be rectified but the e-stamp office cannot do anything in this matter. Try your luck. But it is not a problem.  You need not worry.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register