Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Simran (none)     04 May 2018

Selling flat - avoid paying ltcg tax

Hello-

I own a flat in Navi Mumbai (sole owner) that I have put up for sale last week. I plan to live on rent from now on as it makes more sense vs own property here. The flat price has appreciated 3 fold from the original purchase price. I have a few queries regarding LTCG Tax saving.

1. Are NHAI / REC bonds still available for purchase? Someone told me that you can't buy them anymore as Govt has stopped issuing new NHAI / REC bonds? If we can still buy it, can you please tell me from where / how it can be bought?

2. If a new property is to be bought after selling old one, within how many months the new flat must be bought to avoid paying tax? Is it 6 months or 2 years?

3. For now I have made up mind to go on rent. In that case, can I keep the money from sale proceeds in my savings a/c (FD) until I decide to buy a new flat?

Thanks.

Simran.

Learning

5 Replies

MAYANK (CONSULTING)     04 May 2018

Contact us for any help, Legalsuvidha.com 1. Are NHAI / REC bonds still available for purchase? Someone told me that you can't buy them anymore as Govt has stopped issuing new NHAI / REC bonds? If we can still buy it, can you please tell me from where / how it can be bought? Yes, these are issued from time to time 2. If a new property is to be bought after selling old one, within how many months the new flat must be bought to avoid paying tax? Is it 6 months or 2 years? 2 years 3. For now I have made up mind to go on rent. In that case, can I keep the money from sale proceeds in my savings a/c (FD) until I decide to buy a new flat? To be kept in Capital Gain Housing scheme, not to be kept in savings account or FD

Simran (none)     04 May 2018

Thank you Mayank for quick help

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     04 May 2018

1. Capital gain is the difference between Sale consideration MINUS the indexed cost of acquisition of the property.

2. First and foremost, if the property had been purchased/constructed prior to 1.4.2001, then the Fair Market value of the said property as on 1.4.2001 is to be obtained from a Government Approved Valuer.

3. Once the Fair Market Value as on 1.4.2001 is obtained then, that value has to be multiplied by the cost index applicable for the Financial year 2018-19 (if you are going to sell the property during the current financial year) DIVIDED by 100.  This is because as on 1.4.2001 the base index is 100.  The cost index for the financial year 2017-18 was 272.  The index for the F.Y. 2018-19 has not been notified by the Central Board of Direct Taxes so far.

3(a).  If the property had been purchased after 1.4.2001, one can straight away take into account the purchase consideration paid + stamp duty paid as cost of acquisition.  Then work out the indexation depending upon the year of purchase and year of sale and arrive at the capital gains amount.

4. Capital Gains Tax is to be paid at 20% on the amount of capital gains.

5. This tax can be saved provided the entire capital gain (maximum permissible to be invested is Rs. 50 lakhs)  is invested in National Highway Authority of India Bond or Rural Electrification Authority Bond.  This amount is to be invested for 5 years and will get 5.25% interest p.a. which interest is taxable.

6. NHAI / REC BONDS are still available.  NHAI Bonds can be obtained by approaching HDFC Bank.

7. Since it is all hard earned money, even if one gets very less interest of 5.25% and has to pay tax on that interest income, (exempt upto Rs. 50000/- in case of senior citizens), it is still worth to deposit the amount, instead of paying the capital gains tax.  After 5 years, the amount in the hand will be much higher. This is because the major amount towards tax does not go out of the hand.

8. If the property is sold for more than Rs. 50 lakhs, the buyer will deduct 1% of the Sale Consideration towards Tax Deduction at Source (TDS) and will give to the seller the Challan evidencing the remittance of the TDS to the Government.

9. Instead of deposit, if it is decided to pay the capital gains tax, then the same has to be paid (after adjusting the 1% TDS deducted by the buyer).

10. If it is decided to go in for new purcase, then it has to be purchased within 1 year from the date of sale.

11. If it is decided to go in for new construction, then it has to be done within two years from date of sale.

12. If it is decided to go in for rent (instead of purchase or new construction) then, after investing the amount of capital gains in NHAI Bond, rest of the amount can be kept in the Fixed Deposit.  The interest on fixed deposit, naturally will attract income tax.

1 Like

Adv Deepak Joshi +917017821512 (Advocate)     04 May 2018

Point wise reply.

1.   No comment.

2    Two years.

3.   Until you invest your capital gains amount, you can keep your capital gains money in a Capital Gains Account Scheme available at all major Public Sector Banks.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     04 May 2018

Post at LCI group website;

CAClubindia

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More