Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nishit (Principal)     09 April 2013

Salary due claim from ex-employer

Respected Forum Members,

I worked for an I.T. company based in Navi Mumbai as a consultant from Feb 23, 2012 to April 4th, 2012

On April 4th, 2012 the company made an offer to me to join them as a full time employee from April 5th, 2012 as a "Process Manager - Training"

There was a standard 6 month probation clause, where the candidate performance would be reviewed 15 days prior to probation ending by Senior Managers and the outcome of confirmation would be communicated to the employee within 3 days of closure of such review

No such process was initiated for me, nor any outcome communicated to me.

I completed 6 months on October 4th, 2012.

On November 9th, 2012 the HR Manager called me and asked me to resign with immediate effect without assigning any substantiated reason.

I agreed to resign on the terms that I would be paid 2 months notice period as per what is in the HR policy

She agreed

I wrote my resignation on a paper and she signed and accepted the resignation.

Later she emailed me saying my service was not confirmed hence i was on probation and would be paid only 1 month notice salary as compensation.

I have received the money for 1 month but have not given my written acceptance of the same

A few important facts to consider before concluding

- The HR policy does not mention anywhere 'Until confirmation is NOT received, employee will continue being on probation" - Ommission

- My appointment letter says, 2 months compensation to be paid by either parties if seperation happens during probation

Contradiction between HR Policy and Appointment letter

- Resignation letter received and accepted by HR Director per terms of paying 2 months compensation - Admission

I need to file a Civil suite against the ex-employer to claim my 1 month due salary

Under what section of the law will I be able to do so?

Since the company is based in Navi Mumbai, which Court will admit this case?

Are there any expert competent lawyers who can assist me in claiming my due from the employer?

How much should should the entire process cost me? The claim is to the extent of Rs. 1,00,000/- (One lakh)

I am currently unemployed and cannot afford a very high fee. 

Thanking everyone for their anticipated contributions and comments.

Regards

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     09 April 2013

You have already made some astute observations of your case.

If you wish to avail the services of LCI lawyer you can conduct search at:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/lawyers_search/#.UWQ1KtgsHso

Related Lawyer’s list is displayed on the bottom of this web page, also.

Your near and dear ones, colleagues, trade union leaders can also refer you to a good labor consultant/service lawyer.

You can file complaint at  HQ town assigned to you, location of HO/Redg. office of the compnay or the location of juridctional courts as stated by company in appointment letter issued to you.

Did you submit resignation with notice period of two months or with immediate effect?

If you have submitted notice of resignation mentioning notice period/effective date of your resignation/last day in office company can not accept the resignation before the expiry of notice period………The other alternative is that it may offer you the compensation ( notice pay) which if you accept may put the dispute to rest.

Demanding resignation in office is offence and forced resignation can be termed deemed termination.

Usually companies state in appointment letter that T&C announced by company from time to time shall be applicable/ acceptable to employee, employment shall be governed by HR policy of the company.

Has the company stated so in appointment letter? If yes, the HR personnel are probably writing to you w.r.t such policies.

The rules and policies of the company should be kept in knowledge domain of the employee. Gossip and rumor can not be rules, policies, and service conditions. The employer should not act like a street magician and produce things from thin air.

You may submit a representation addressed to good offices of appointing authority, MD, Chairman, Company Secretary, and narrate representations made by you so far by phone/email/letter etc., and mention date/phone number/name-designation-dept-name of company-address of company personnel to whom you had represented, and brief minutes of discussion and conclude that you have been clamoring for ……………. and same have not been supplied to you despite unlimited number of representations, and raise your demand, give time and thus provide opportunity to good offices.

Notice period is part of the service conditions. Service conditions are stated in Standing Orders of the company, appointment letter, Shops and Establishments Act of the state, statue. The employee who is covered by these enactments shall be protected up to that extent.

Designation alone does not decide employee is a workman or not.

Model Standing Orders:

13.  Termination of employment.- (3)              Where the employment of any workmen is terminated, the wages earned by him and other dues, if any, shall be paid before the expiry of the second working day from the day on which his employment is terminated.

You may explore the option of staking claim under payment of Wages Act.

2. Definitions.

3*[(vi) "wages"

(d) any sum which by reason of the ermination of employment of the person employed

is payable under any law, contract or instrument which provides for the payment of such sum, whether with or without deductions, but does not provide for the time within which the payment is to be made;

---SE Act Bombay which is so employee friendly, that it can cover your issues too.

38. Application and amendment of the Payment of Wages Act.

(l) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Payment of Wages Act,  1936, (V  ?f

1936)………. the Inspector appointed under this Act shall be deemed to be the Inspector…herein referred to as "the said Act",…….for the purpose of the enforcement of hei provisions of the said Act within the local limits of his jurisdiction.

( Implies that the Inspector under SE Act shall be the Wages Inspector )

[?8 ?. Application of Act VIII of 1923 to employees of establishment.-The provisions of the Workmen's Compensation Act,  1923  (VIII  of  1923),  and the rules  made from time to time thereunder, shall,  mutatis mutandis,  apply to employees  of  an establishment to  which this Act applies, as if they were workmen within t! meaning of the Workmen's Compensation Act, 1923.

( Implies any employee under SE Act shall be eligible as if he is a workman and can invoke WC Act)

^[??-?.  Application of Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act to establishments.-The  provisions of the Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act,  1946,  in its application to the State of Maharashtra [(hereinafter in this section referred to as "the said Act"), and the rules and standing orders (including model standing orders) made thereunder from time to time, shall,  mutatis rnuimdis,  apply to  all establishments wherein fifty or more employees are employed and to which this Act applies, as if they were industrial establishment within the meaning of the said Act.

(Implies if company is under SE Act and if it has not framed its standing orders the model standing orders shall apply to all employees. Model Standing Orders are attached. You can also download from Dept. of Labor Maharashtra/Bombay website also. Thus while you can approach Inspector under SE Act you should also be eligible to approach Labor Inspector/ALC.)

51.    Employer [and manager  to produce registers, records etc.  for inspection.

( Implies that if you lodge a complaint the Inspector can not check all records, your personnel file but can take these to his office. You may obtain certified copies and even peruse RTI route.)

Moreover the Inspector is under obligation report every two months as given in Sec.66

55.    False entries by employer and manager.

58.    Determination of employer for the purpose of this  Act.

??.Notice    of termination of service

---There has been along felt need for strong, well meaning, well knit union for IT employees.

You may go thru interesting publications at:

https://www.rediff.com/money/2005/oct/06bspec.htm

https://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/Should_IT_companies_allow_trade_unions-nid-67674-cid-1.html

https://www.answeringlaw.com/php/displayContent.php?linkId=1196

The proposal to forge a union for IT workers has now come from the Centre for Indian Trade Unions (CITU) -- the trade union wing of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) -- the largest Left party in the country.

West Bengal Information Technology Services Association (WBITSA): This union is floated by CITU (Centre of Indian Trade Unions- the trade union wing of the Communist Party of India (Marxist)- the ruling party in West Bengal).

"A union for IT workers is the urgent need of the hour. I would call the IT professionals 'the labourers of the information age.' They toil long hours; they work at night; and some of them still get meager salaries. So a labour union for them would help fight for their rights," CITU president M K Pandhe told………..

"It is not going to be easy. Already, we have begun the process to hold consultations with many senior IT employees in places like Kolkata [ Images ], Bangalore, Chennai and Trivandrum (Thiruvananthapuram). We do hope to establish a proper union soon," Pandhe pointed out.

Left leaders say there is also already tremendous backing from the Union of Network International, a global alliance of 900 trade unions, to forge an IT industry workers union in India.

However, a number of organisations for IT professionals now exist at the state level in Hyderabad (in Andhra Pradesh) and Bangalore (in Karnataka [ Images ]).

"Yes, there is an urgent need for a labour law exclusively for the IT industry. It is the one sector that is booming across India, and we need to frame a legislation for IT workers. We are going to take up the issue with the Manmohan Singh [ Images ] government soon," said Community Party of India national secretary D Raja.

There are other forums e.g:

'IT Professionals Forum.' (https://www.itpfindia.org/in).

IT/BPO Voice of India | Facebook

UNITES Professionals

https://www.unitespro.org/

https://www.itecentre.co.in/

Contact Us

Please contact us on
mail id : contact@itecentre.co.in.
ph : 9620907912

Please Join ITEC group for discussion among IT-BPO employees. To join the group, please send a blank mail to itec_bangalore-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

https://ithiworld.wikispaces.com/News+Update

ITHI, a forum
of women employees in IT and ITeS

Valuable advice of learned experts is sought.

Attached File : 551691181 the bombay shops establishments act.pdf downloaded: 107 times

NIKHIL PANDEY (site engineer)     12 September 2014

dear sir,

i joined a company named Telegence india on 18/02/2014. first i posted in chennai site. i worked in this company till 10/05/2014.

on 05/05/2014 i requested to company for urgent leave for 4,5 days the company not given me leave after two days i resigned the company by informing the company and company accepted my resignation. after that i came to my home. the company says that your due salary will be paid in some days but still more then three months are going to but company is not paying my salary and even now they does not recieved my calls. i mailed also but no any reply.....

and one more thing this company is also not paying the 25 labours salary for two month, i was the incharge of the team so the labour calls me for salary request.

what i can do for ALL labours and my due salary payment against the company.

please guide me.

THANKING YOU

NIKHIL PANDEY

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register