LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Representing myself in court

Whats the proceedure for representing myself in court as party in person to defend the case in india  .Is there any format of application that i have to file  . As i am not happy with my Lawyer 's way  of fighting the case and his non appearance in court on several dates at the argument stage . How do i cancel the earlier vakalatnama filed and fight the case my self for maintanence .Can i sumbiit written notes of argument myself with just my signature . 


 17 Replies


You will have to take NOC from your current lawyer.


Also submit your application stating that you will now appear party in person along with NOC from your current lawyer.

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     23 September 2011

just give a request to court to this effect.

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     24 September 2011

Adding to Avnish

- Tell Court to cancel his Vakalatnama on file after filing self Memo of Appearance.

All the best.


Thanks  for your Guidance 

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/     24 September 2011


first you get the noc from your lawyer and after that you can fight your case in person,

you can also summit your arguments in writting before the hon'ble court

Manav Kalia (Arguing my own cases..)     25 September 2011

You had pm ed me earlier. Just let me know your information specific to your case and I will be able to guide you better as i'm also arguing my own cases in spite of not being able to speak properly due to brain damage.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     27 September 2011

If your lawyer is not giving NoC, then you can file a Memo of appearnace for your own and give a written request that you are under process of  withdrawl of Vakalatnama/ getting NoC. So pending that, the lawyer doesnot appear and give any statement which is detrimental to your cause.




Shonee Kapoor

Pavan Sandur (Management Professional)     29 September 2011


I have a friend who's lawyer is not giving NOC saying he has not paid his fees.

Whereas my friend has paid totally Rs. 78,000/- untill now.

Each time Lawyer has taken money in cash except for one instance when he has transfered Rs. 10,000/-

through bank transfer.

Lawyer is demanding Rs.20,000/- more to give NOC.

He has paid-

Rs.18,000/- for RCR.

Rs.55,000/- for getting anticipatory bail in dist court and regular bail for my friend and his parent.

Rs.5,000/- for IA to give access to see his child for one day-for birthday.

Now lawyer is demanding Rs.50,000/- more to get quash order from high court for my friend's brother.

Last demand has lead my friend to ask for NOC.

What is the remedy?

Me and my friend share the same legal counsel.

Manav Kalia (Arguing my own cases..)     29 September 2011

@ FVUACNKI, it depends on whether you want to represent yourself in court or want to go thru other lawyer. If another lawyer then your new lawyer should be able to get the NOC for you. If arguing yourself just complain to court that you are not satisfied with lawyer and want to argue yourself. Any decent judge will help you out.


Tried to represent myself in court but judge did not accept and said that next time i have to get my lawyer and come . But he allowed me to sumbit my return arguments . 

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     09 November 2011

How can court not allow it?


Have you withdrawn your Vakalatnama favoring the lawyer?





Shonee Kapoor


Dear Shonne ,

Verbally i informed the judge that i want to represent myself .Judge questioned me if i have done my law . For which i replied no.I told him that i have given my facts,sumbitted my list of documents etc and even my written argument .I even requested him that atleast for the written argument i represent myself  .Than he suggested me that i have to get my counsel for the next hearing since there is a process in court which i dont know . 

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     09 November 2011

The process is that you have to withdraw the VAKALATNAMA by getting NOC from your lawyer.



Shonee Kapoor

Rajesh (Director Finance)     03 December 2012

Can somebody let me know how can we fight a case without engaging the lawyer. In my case i havent engaged any lawyer but wish to file papers on my own.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register