Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

S. Singh   12 August 2015

Register indian/foreigner marriage that took place abroad?

I am an Indian citizen and my wife is a Canadian citizen, and we married officially in Canada a few years ago. We possess a state-issued Canadian marriage certificate. What is the process of getting this marriage officially recognised in India? If the Foreign Marriage Act is the relevant law, what is the process we must follow to register the marriage under this act?

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Learning

4 Replies

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     12 August 2015

Your marriage can be registered under Foreign Marriage Act, 1969 by filling up the prescribed forms and depositing the  requisite fee, which is nominal.

S. Singh   12 August 2015

@prabharkar: Thanks. With whom do we file the form? Does it need to be done in Canada, or in India?

@Raj123: I would like my wife's name to be added as spouse in my Indian passport, but the passport office didn't accept the Canadian marriage certificate. I have an appointment at their head office for further processing, but I would like to be certain that I don't face such issues in the future.

ANAMIKA VICHARE (LAWYER)     13 August 2015

Even I feel the same thing what is theneed, both of you are staying in Canada right

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     13 August 2015

If you want your marriage registered abroad under Foreign Marriage Act, 1969, you can approach the Indian Embassy/Counsul, where one officer is notified as Marriage Officer under Foreign Marriage Act, 1969 by Govt. of India and he will get your marriage registered under the Act.  If you are in India, here Central Govt. notified officers for that purpose, you can google your state and find the address of such an officer for registering your marriage under the said Act.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register