LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kailash (manager)     03 June 2010

Regarding Legality of Not Paying Variable Pay on Relieving

I have one query. I searched entire google but not found a single answer for that.

This might help lakhs of our IT employees group as this is very unique and crucial query.

In indian IT companies which follows Fixed + Variable pay. The structure is OK.
But the problem is when the companies say that the Variable pay will be paid only if the employee is on companies roll on the "Date of payment of the variable pay"... Most of the companies pay it annualy.

Due to this companies saves crores of rupees and employees looses the same, every year.

Employee works so hard all time and looses the big amount of variable pay as an indirect compensation for his/her resignation from company.
For example if in a financial year an employee is Relieved say a Month or a week before the variable payout date at the end of the year, then he/she is not even paid for the 11 month... even if the ratings of that employee are good... even if the last working day of employee is 1-2 days before payment of variable pay then also he/she is not paid that....

So is this logically and legally correct? Hard work is nothing? Company can make rules which just give benefits to the company alone? Compant says that the offer letter mentioned the rule.. and employee signed the offer...

This is wrong... the employee should get the Proprtionate variable pay whether he/she is on roll or not on the variable payment date.
Does signing offer which states this, so will that written on offer makes it legal?
I don't think that just signing offer makes everything written in offer legal viable and true... if this was the case then there will be no court cases at all.

I wanted to know what can be the stand as per indian laws like industrial dispute act, wages atc etc...  and is there any case like filed or decided in any court of india?

Please give your opinion and reference of any section of any relevant laws of india which applies to this.

Learning

4 Replies

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     04 June 2010

Variable pay is linked to performance and obviously MUST be paid for the past performance. Generally companies stop paying this once some body resigns. Since variable pay is in general applied non-work men category (executives/Managers, and general supervisory category). it cannot be raised as an industrial dispute. A case needs to be filed in the civil/High Court and generally employees find no-time for this exercise and this is taken as an advantage by certain unscrupulous industries!

Naveen Sharma (Manager)     10 July 2010

Hi,

I am also victim of this fraud. This fraud has been made by very big corporate house who shows as only he is the best HR policies. It is neither mentioned any where nor told to employees that "To get variable one has to be on active payroll on the day variable declaration". HR keep on saying to all employees that one will get his\her variable along with other employees. Now when I enquired with then they are saying that company has decided not to pay the variable which is perfonace linked as per appointment letter to ex employees. They are not even releasing the variable for the year 2008-2009 also.

I am planning to put a case in civil court under breach of contract & fraud.

This Group is ESSAR...

Regds

Brajesh (PM)     10 July 2010

Hi,

I am also victim of this fraud by ESSAR group,me too  planning to put a case in civil court under breach of contract & fraud.

Sandeep S Kshirasagar (Sr Executive Accounts & Finance)     16 December 2013

Hi ,

I am sandeep, i need suggestion regarding Variable Pay,

I worked for the financial year 2012-13, And resigned job from organisation this year 12 Nov 2013.

In Oct 2013 i received mail from HR VP your will received VP in Nov second week.

But i don't know they released payment in Dec 1st Week.

Now they telling your resigned employee you will not get,

VP is included in my CTC, Can i get the amount as per any law or employee Act.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register