Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Padmanabhan (Software Devloper)     14 November 2011

Recovery suit for two wheeler

Hi,

I have posted question related to this in two other sections of the forum in this website. I believe now that this is the right place to present my problem. Please forgive me for any mistakes I make in the post. I am not from the legal fraternity.

Let me put my issue here.

I bought a two wheeler vehicle in second hand from a person for 78000 Rs. The day I took the vehicle's delivery from him he was not in a position to give me the vehicle's papers as it was owned by one of his friend's and hence took 70000 and gave me the vehicle. I got a reciept from him for the same written in his own hand writing which states his name ,address, chassis and Registration No of the vehcile and that he is accepting the amount of 70000 from me for the vehicle. I have a revenue stamp on the same and he has signed over it. I have also signed the document.

After two days he gave me the papers of the vehicle and I paid him the remaning payment of 8000 Rs and took a reciept in the same format mentioned above. At this point I pointed out to him that  the RC book states the vehicle is of year 1989 where as he had told me it was of 2000. He said this was printing mistake and gave me also the reciept by which he had renewed the insurance in my name and told me here the Mfg date is 2000. The next day he also gave me the pervious year's insurance copy where again it was stated that the year of manufacture is 2000.

I was still suspicious and wrote to the manufacturer of the vehicle by email and who replied two days later saying that the vehicle is manufactured in year 1989. I returned the vehicle to the seller on the very same day and took a letter from him stating he has taken custody of the vehicle (this letter does not have a revenue stamp on it). I still retain the vehicle's original papers.

It is two weeks since and he is not paying back the money. In one of the forums here I was adviced that  I could register a cheating case or go for something Civil. I later found that recovery case will be easier procedure compared to the same. Also, In another forum I was told that the payment reciept and email are legally admissible evidences.

I have my cousin as witness when I returned the vehicle and a mechanic who I took with me to check the vehcile before buying the vehicle to check the same, who might testify (not sure) if the seller alleges coersion.

Also, If i have to prove cheating I have two documents given by him stating two different manufacturing date and the manufacturer's email.

My question is that,

1) Will these evidences stand for  Recovery suit, especially when there are no witnesses who have signed the payment reciept? Does payment reciept require witness signature? Will the return of custody letter legally admissible?

2) What other evidence will I require to prove that the person is liable to pay the money(The transactions where made in cash, but I can prove the source as they came from the same bank account)

3) Is there a time period within which I have to file my recovery suit?

4) What other legal course of action can I take? Which will be the best approch?

Thanks

Padmanabhan

Learning

2 Replies

sridhar pasumarthy (ADVOCATE)     14 November 2011

Dear padmanabhan,

I have already answered your query earlier.  Again you are repeating the same.

Padmanabhan (Software Devloper)     15 November 2011

Hi Sridhar,

Yes you did answer my questions in the other forum. But I have posted some new questions here.

I had asked if the evidence is legally admissible in the other forum where as here I am asking the question specific to recovery suit. My reason to ask this question here is because one of my friend said that  there should be alteast 2  witness to such a document. But I felt at that point that since it's reciept of Payment a witness is not necessary. Wanted to confirm this.

My  other two question are totally new and was never discussed in any of the other questions that I posted.

The fourth question could have been avoided by me, but I felt that if somebody could suggest an easier why miss on a opprtunity just because I did not ask. I could have avoided asking this.

Sridhar, I really appreciate the help and advice you gave me on the other forum. Also, I started this new Post only because there was no reply to one of my other threads where I had some follow up questions. I came to the conslusion that I get replies only on new threads made on a given day. May be this is my bad.

Also, I have given a detailed picture of events here.

I would really appreciate if somebody could answer my queries here.

Sorry for the inconvinence.

Thanks

Padmanabhan

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register