Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

itssabri g (Soft. Engg)     21 February 2012

Receiving threatening calls

Hi friends,

I will explain my problem in detail...

In 2008 I had a reliance broadband connection in my name which was shared with my room mates in pune. Few months later I had to leave pune and I completely forgot about the brodband connection. Till the time I was using it I paid the bills regularly but after I left the flat I have no idea for how long it was working and how many of the bills were paid by my room mates.

2-3 years later I received a call from lady saying that she is calling from patiala house, delhi and a case has been registered against me for fraud(420). At first I was clueless that what exactly I did for which I have been declared as fraud. Few hours later I recieved one more call from some advocate saying that he is calling regarding the case in patiala house and it is for some broadband connection and he gave me the user id of my broadband connection from which I came to know about the whole picture. And he was asking me to pay some 4000 rs to reliance outlet or else the case will proceed and I will have to visit the court hearing at patiala house. The next day I received a call from another lady and she was talking very roughly "Kyun sir aapne paise bhare nahi abhi tak", I said I didn't receive any call from reliance in the last 3 years and all of a sudden they have filed a case against me, this is not fare. Sensing negativity from my statement she said "To  aap paise nahi bharne wale, ab aap dekho ki mai kya karti hu". This was enough for me to listen to her crap, I said "Jo karna hai karle ja" and disconnected the phone. Since then I did not receive any call till today.

Now all my room mates have left the flat and no is in touch with me.

Today(after 1 year of the previous call) I received a call from a person that an arrest warrant is being issued for me regarding due payment of broadband. I told him that I never had such broadband connection and disconnected. Just before disconnecting I heard him saying to someone "thik hai kardo case ko proceed".

Should I take these calls seriously? What action can I take against these calls?

Learning

8 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 February 2012

You did not disconnect the connection; therefore you ought to pay the bill till the date the connection was deactivated by the company due to non payment. The companies keep on raising the bill adding the late payment charges till the bill is paid.

The calls received by you are from fake guys posing as advocates. It seems that all such guys are given same format by all companies and all these recovery agents use the same language. You can lodge police complaint.

If you wish to pay the bill you should negotiate hard with company and obtain a letter on letterhead of the company under original seal and signature by hand by competent employee of the company not less than the authority of Zonal Head ( e.g. West which covers Pune ) stating that amount ( as decided by you.........and company) is acceptable as full and final payment and company is removing your name from list of defaulters and all recovery, collection agencies and from view by all telecom companies after the issue of this letter no company shall deny any connection to you due to the payment in question. You must obtain and full and final bill and full and final payment receipt separately and a soft copy of all letters, bills, receipts by email as well from the official email of the company.

itssabri g (Soft. Engg)     21 February 2012

Thanks for the quick reply kumar.

I dont remember the monthly rental for the plan but it was not above 1000 Rs for sure. As per the policy company deactivates the connection if the bill for the previous month is pending. So the bill cannot be more than 2000 Rs.

My only point is they should have notified me after 2 months of non payment as my number was with them. Then I could have taken the action at the same time. Now after so many years they come up with this drama, which makes no sense. As a matter of fact I had a new connection from reliance till last month for last 2 years!! So why did they allow me to get a new connection!!

Now, what if they are not ready to negotiate.. I dont mind paying 1000 Rs as it was my mistake being careless.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 February 2012

It is a set process that first the retention then collection team of the company thru its employees ( on roll/off roll) shall call/visit the customer for payment and then recovery team shall follow up. A notice is sent for payment. Then case is handed over to recovery agencies. These recovery agencies pose as fake policemen, advocates, and use coercive methods.

You may get in touch with Collection Head of any nearest Reliance office and may take some acquaintances with you and resolve the matter, as suitable to you.

In a case involving Airtel, the customer has cancelled the connection and was given transaction ID on a slip. It was later realized that company staff was under instructions to avoid giving anything on company stationary. After some time this customer started getting abusive/threatening/ coercive calls from so called policemen/advocates while the customer was in roaming at client location. Being a community member we all approached the concerned Airtel office and grilled the collection head and called these so called policemen/advocates from company office telephone and it came out that these guys are company people sitting in company's Circle Office in state capital city. While these so called policemen/advocates and collection head were grilled  these so called policemen/advocates admitted that company’s sales/retention teams do not want to post failure report to retain the connection and therefore they forward the case to recovery and then company doesn't mind it because many of the harassed customer end up paying the exorbitant charges. All this was recorded (video) and company staff settled the matter by paying the customer and cancelling the connection and issued a certificate as suitable to the customer.

rakesh makhijani (student)     10 October 2012

Being a fresh law student i would like to know:

Such calls have become common and the modus operandi of different companies is one and same.

If some one is strong enough not to succumb to such calls:

Can the companies move the courts for recovery proceedings of fictitious amounts or  for amounts

due three four years back?

Wont the court treat it as time barred?

What remedy can the court grant to the companies?

What legal steps can the customer take against such erring companies.

Would be glad if some senior helps out with answers.

Ritesh Mehra (student)     06 December 2012

Today my father recieved a call from a person and threating my father to make your reliance payment clear by today only otherwise you need to come tomorrow in Tis Hazari court to settle the case.

Being as an educated person i know ths type of call was done by recovery agencies. 

I just want to know is really reliance sue on us for non payment of bill ?
Is ths call was real or fake?

Or if i recieved the same call again , what info should i ask from them so that i acn able to check whether call is come from authentic sources or not.

should i ask the case no.?

lawyer id no.?
type of case?

Please reply soon....

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 December 2012

The so called lawyer {or munshi/astt. of lawyer} shall give a case number which most probably would be the file number issued by recovery agency and if you ask phone number the calling person may give you phone number of so called advocate and if you insist they shall give you address of concerned Reliance office, where some manager of Reliance who is handling the agency may be available. Most probably they shall not disclose the full address/ name of prop. of the recovery agency and shall ask you to deposit the money in any of the Reliance Payment center.

Your father should record the call or prepare the minutes of discussion.

You can lodge a complaint with local police station in writing under acknowledgment and obtain complaint number.

The recovery agencies can not and must not call relatives and friends. They obtain most frequently called numbers and then start exerting pressure, knowing that majority of the customers shall not act.

In such cases some of the citizens have taken crowd of well wishers to the local office of the company and have thrashed local BM and local BM is pressurized to call these recovery agencies and his masters to stop the calls and then a settlement is arrived at.

This is a drill to which all customers are subjected to.

The citizens and customers who are united and have their will power and are willing to apply tit for tat succeed to subdue these companies and agencies and those who become susceptible to pressure end up paying and suffer even after .

The citizens who can not handle such companies and such matters can approach DCDRF, Lok adalat thru their lawyer.

Ritesh Mehra (student)     06 December 2012

Is ths recovery agencies have the power to sue to customers????

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 December 2012

The customer has signed the Subscriber Enrollment Form of company and company has issued the connection. If there is a possibility to sue company shall sue.

If recovery agency has been indulging in coercive, pressurizing, threatening, intimidating practices customer can sue agency and company.

Customer should collect and build record in his favor.

If the situation is becoming difficult to handle approach law enforcement agency or court of law.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register