LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Adv. karinamishra (-)     01 May 2010

comment

capital punishment should be abolished or not?

Learning

6 Replies

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     01 May 2010

No.  But it should be reserved only for people who hold responsible positions - and shatter the public trust and dignity of their office like politicians involved in scams and terror acts, governors in s*x scandals, ambassadors selling national secrets etc etc.  Capital punishment should not be for forced criminals who have no other means to lead a life and save their families from starvation.  

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     01 May 2010

India is a signatory for Convention on Abolistion of Death Penalty. All the signatories have abolished death penalty but India is still considering capital punishment. I think it is a violation of human rights. It should be abolished.

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     01 May 2010

i disagree with Suchitra Ji, i believe it should be kept in the system....and above all we need to review all the punishments prescribed under various laws...e.g in accident cases or terroristic activities hardest possible sentence shall be awarded.

in India one can observe the execution process of death sentence is quite slow.  Reformative theory can not be applied everywhere.  A few years ago during NDA government, a debate was started for inflicting capital punishment on Rape Convicts, at that time too a lot of Woman Organisations supported the idea.

if not death sentence then what punishment we will give to Kasab?

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     01 May 2010

So far India is concerned,time has not riped to remove the death penalty from the statute.The courts are very cautiouos in awarding death penalty in rarest of rare cases.So long bride burning continue it is inevitable to do away with such inhuman activites,or at least to scare such minded people, the death penalty should continue in our country.

(Guest)

KINDLY NOTE THAT.

1.CAPITAL PUNISHMENT  .THERE MAY BE DIFFERENCE OF OPENION.

2.AT PRESENT THERE IS NO AMMENDMENT IN THE SAID PROVISIONS SO FOLLOW THE EXHISTING PROVISIONS. COURTS WILL DECIDE THE MATTERS AS PER THE ACTS AND PROVISIONS.UNLESS ANY AMMENDMENT IS PASSED ,JUST FOLLOW THE LAW PROVISIONS.

3.CRIMINAL LAW  SHOULD BE ALWAYS STRICT. UNLESS STRICT AND CAPITAL PUNISHMENTS ARE AWARDED THE CRIMINALS WILL TAKE UNDUE ADVANTAGE OF THE LAW PROVISIONS AND CRIME RATE WILL INCREASE.

4.IN CASE ANY ONE FEELS THAT PUNISHMENT AWARDED IS OF CAPITAL NATURE ,HE CAN FILE APPEAL TO APPROPRIATE COURTS TILL SC AND FURTHER  MERCY PETITION TO PRESIDENT OF INDIA

SO IT IS ADVISIBLE THAT LET THE PROVISION BE THERE BUT THE JUDICIARY SHOULD BE MORE CAREFUL WHILE AWARDING THE CAPITAL PUNISHMENTS. GOOD LUCK..

(Guest)

I believe that for criminals like kasab who were caught red-handed and have killed many people, capital punishment is justified! Mass murders of innocent people by terrorists should truly invite capital punishment.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register