Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Lincy (Expert)     27 May 2012

Proper procedure for getting mutual divorce

Hello,

I am a Christian girl married to a Hindu boy by both christian and Hindu rituals. We have a marrige certificate from the church but we did not get our marriage registered in court. So i assume we are under special marriage act. We have a son from our marriage of 6 years but are unfortunatety filing for a mutual divorce .

What i need to kow-

1-Is there any Mutual Settlement Deed which mentions all the clauses, alimony ( to be given in parts in 1st motion and 2nd motion etc) prepared and signed by both the parties in front of the lawyers prior to filing a mutual consent divorce in court? I mean is this valid ? ( as the agreement deed does mention clauses like if the either parties dont come for 2nd motion ...xyz...will be charged..etc etc) Does this peice of Paper so called the MOU is of any legal relevance/validity?

2-As there is a one time alimony ( child support ) involved , and it is being paid in parts(50% in first motion and rest at 2nd motion)..can i ask the court to keep the rest 50% till the completion of 6 months? Is there something called court treasury?And what can be done for Gold ( as I will be getting the Gold also after the 2nd motion) How can i secure the remaining 50% and Gold till the second motion? Does court accept DD to be kept in tresury?

3-Under which act will our divorce be executed? Special marriage act? Or chirstian marriage act?

Learning

6 Replies

Divya Jyoti Jaipuriar (Advocate/ 09868002365)     27 May 2012

Lincy

Special Marriage Act applies to those who approach the Registrar of marriage for registered marriage. In your case, as the marriage was solomnised both by Hindu and Christian rites and customs, application for divorce by mutual consent can be filed under the provisions of either Hindu Marriage Act or Indian Divorce Act. Indian Divorce Act applies to christian weddings. The procedure for dovorce by mutual consent is identical in both the legislations.

Secondly, in most cases of dovorce by mutual consent, the Court sends the parties to mediation to arrive at any settlement or agreement between them. During the mediation, you may settle the issues of allimony and property to be given to you. This agreement during mediation becomes a part of divorce decree, once court accepts it. If you have come up with any kind of settlement already, I would sggest that you place all relevant facts and terms of settlement in the joint application for divorce by mutual consent. As this application is signed by both the parties and supported by individual affidavits, it will hold scantity in the Court of Law. Conditions to the payment of allimony and the payment schedule can also be a part in the application.

The Court may ask your husband to deposit the remaining amount in the Court in form of a demand draft in either your name or in the Court's name, which may be released to you at the time of passing of divorce decree.

Divya Jyoti Jaipuriar, Adv.

+92-9868002365

www.jaipuriar.com

Divya Jyoti Jaipuriar (Advocate/ 09868002365)     27 May 2012

Lincy Special Marriage Act applies to those who approach the Registrar of marriage for registered marriage. In your case, as the marriage was solomnised both by Hindu and Christian rites and customs, application for divorce by mutual consent can be filed under the provisions of either Hindu Marriage Act or Indian Divorce Act. Indian Divorce Act applies to christian weddings. The procedure for dovorce by mutual consent is identical in both the legislations. Secondly, in most cases of dovorce by mutual consent, the Court sends the parties to mediation to arrive at any settlement or agreement between them. During the mediation, you may settle the issues of allimony and property to be given to you. This agreement during mediation becomes a part of divorce decree, once court accepts it. If you have come up with any kind of settlement already, I would sggest that you place all relevant facts and terms of settlement in the joint application for divorce by mutual consent. As this application is signed by both the parties and supported by individual affidavits, it will hold scantity in the Court of Law. Conditions to the payment of allimony and the payment schedule can also be a part in the application. The Court may ask your husband to deposit the remaining amount in the Court in form of a demand draft in either your name or in the Court's name, which may be released to you at the time of passing of divorce decree. Divya Jyoti Jaipuriar, Adv. +91-9868002365 www.jaipuriar.com

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     27 May 2012

Special Marriage Act and Hindu Marriage Act are not applicable in your case.

The Indian Divorce Act 1869 (Amendment 2001) is applicable in your case and by virtue of Section 10-A (1) of the Act, you both can go for mutual consent divorce.  You put on paper all those agreed points in the form of agreement and make it annexure to your divorce petition (it can be part of petition itself).  The clauses which will  go against the public policy will be invalid. The rest of the things, I agree with Mr. Divya Jyothi. 

Lincy (Expert)     27 May 2012

Thanks for your response Mr Divya Jyoti and Mr Chandu.

I was told that Court does not keep Demand drafts and how do i secure the Gold articles and thier valditiy?( i.e if the gold is pure or not)

Can I ask the court to keep it in court tresury or is it totally on the judge who can propose this?

The alimony is taxable?

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     28 May 2012

If the gold is pure or not, you can move an application before the court to send the material for valuationn before the competent person and give undertaking that you would incur the expenditure.  Similarly, you can request the court to keep the material in the safe custody of the court and the court does not have such facility, you can ask the court to get locker opened in some bank and for that you should show your willingness to incur expenditure.  All these orders can be passed by the civil court by virtue of S.151 of C.P.C.

SRINIVASA PRASAD Warangal A.P (LEGAL PRACTIONER )     11 June 2012

Lincy

Mr. Jyothi and Chandu has rightly advised, what to be added by me is that, it seems that you have not at applied for MCD so far, regarding deposit of Banker's Cheque or DD concerned it is valid for only 3 months accorder new rules, insted of depositing in the court you receive the same at the time of second motion or at the time of recording your statements and pronouncement of  decree of divorce.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register