LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

majeti (advocate)     28 November 2008

probate, letters of admn

sir, plz clarify what is the difference between probate and letter of administration and whether the registered will executed in a rural or municipal areas  can be possible for probate and letter of administration  and also enlight me about in which acts and books to get more information

Learning

3 Replies

arunprakaash.m. (advocate)     28 November 2008

when the testator has mentioned any person as his executors then the executor has to apply for the probate, a certified copy of the will by the competent court. when there is no executors are there the possible legal heirs apply to the court to get letters of administration for getting the estate. in rural areas dist court can grant the certificates.

Jaideep Nayyar (Lawyer)     29 November 2008

The difference between probate and leter of administration ha been rightly explained above. For further you can go through sections 211 onwards of Indian Succesion Act

Ravikant Soni (LAWYER IN JAIPUR)     12 April 2011

Probate can be granted when deceased had died appointing a executor in the will.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While a letter of administration can be granted when:

1- deceased had died intestate.

2- the deceased has made a will, but has not appointed an executor.

relavant setions of Indian succession act

222. Probate only to appointed executor.- (1) Probate shall be granted only to an executor appointed by the will.

(2) The appointment may be expressed or by necessary implication.

Illustrations

(i) A wills that C be his executor if B will not. B is appointed executor by implication.

(ii) A gives a legacy to B and several legacies to other persons, among the rest to his daughter-in-law C, and adds "but should the within-named C be not living I do constitute and appoint B my whole and sole executrix". C is appointed executrix by implication.

(iii) A appoints several persons executors of his will and codicils and his nephew residuary legatee, and in another codicil are these words,--"I appoint my nephew my residuary legatee to discharge all lawful demands against my will and codicils signed of different dates". The nephew is appointed an executor by implication. 

218. To whom administration may be granted, where deceased is a Hindu, Muhammadan, Buddhist, Sikh, Jaina or exempted person.- (1) If the deceased has died intestate and was a Hindu, Muhammadan, Buddhist, Sikh or Jaina or an exempted person, administration of his estate may be granted to any person who, according to the rules for the distribution of the estate applicable in the case of such deceased, would be entitled to the whole or any part of such deceased's estate.

(2) When several such persons apply for such administration, it shall be in the discretion of the Court to grant it to any one or more of them.

(3) When no such person applies, it may be granted to a creditor of the deceased.

232. Grant of administration to universal or residuary legatees.- When--

(a) the deceased has made a will, but has not appointed an executor, or

(b) the deceased has appointed an executor who is legally incapable or refuses to act, or who has died before the testator or before he has proved the will, or

(c) the executor dies after having proved the will, but before he has administered all the estate of the deceased, an universal or a residuary legatee may be admitted to prove the will, and letters of administration with the will annexed may be granted to him of the whole estate, or of so much thereof as may be unadministered.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register