Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Adheip (NA)     07 May 2013

Pre-requisite for l.l.b

Hello everyone,

My mother has had am aspiration to study law and has finally palnned to go ahead with the course(She is 55 now). All colleges ask for a minimum qualification of 12th passed. 

However when my mom completed her metriculate there was no such 10th and 12th board difference. She had to collectively pass 11th standard under Maharashtra State board which was the single Board exam then and she was elligible to enroll for graduation courses(She had completed First year in B.A then but dropped out because of personal reasons)

My question is whether this equivlence of 11th standard boards then and the requirement of 12th standard boards today applicable to enroll herself in Law colleges accross India.

Your sincere inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thanking you!



 4 Replies

Shashikant V. Patil (Lawyer)     08 May 2013

It is great to have a aspiration at this age to gain knowledge and degree.  There are two types of LL. B course can be persued i.e 1) 5 yrs after 12th Std. & 2) 3 yrs after having graduation in any faculty . But your mother's qualification is 11th std (Old course) passed may not fulfilled the criteria for eligibility.  If she could take admission to 12th std on basis of 11th std and complete it, then she can have dream to take admission for 5 yrs LL.B course. 

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     08 May 2013

The old system of 11th standard scholling had been  fixed  as qualification for joining the college courses (as it stood then)..After switch over to 12 th standard,states have issued instructions to adopt the 11 the standard completed after 10 th standard as eqivalent to 12 the standard.So verify the instructions with the education department and fulfill the desire of your mother, since the age restrictions to pursue LLB has been stayed by the Supreme court.

Adheip (NA)     09 May 2013

Thank you much for your response. Which education department do i need to write to ? Is there a specific government department for Law Education to whom i can write? I have written to NLU Delhi and NLS Bangalore regarding the same query. Awating repsonses from them too at the moment.

Varun Desai (Advocate)     09 May 2013

There is no provision in law says that 11th old course equivalent to 12th course so she can not eligible to do law...................

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query