LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Akash (XYZ)     25 December 2013

Power of attorney

My father is around 75 years and is not in good healh . He wants to appoint me as his Power of Attorney to transact all his day to day dealings which include selling his flat in a cooperative housing society in mumbai. I understand that a General power of attorney on Rs.500 stamp paper needs to be executed. My question is do I need to get the power of attorney registered ? or would the notarized power of attorney be sufficient for me to execute the sale on behalf of my father? If I need to get the POA registered then, does my father need to come to the registrars office? or can I get the notary to notarize his signature on the POA and then I can go to the registrars office and get the POAregistered without him having to come as he is not in good health and thats the reason he wants to appoint me as his POA.

Learning

5 Replies

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     25 December 2013

POA is valid only when it is registered, unregistered has little value with regards to sale transactions.

Akash (XYZ)     25 December 2013

Thank you Adv. Raghavan for your prompt response.

Does my father need to come to the registrars office to register the POA? or can I get the notary to notarize his signature on the POA and then I can go to the registrars office and get the POA registered without him having to come as he is not in good health and thats the reason he wants to appoint me as his POA.

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     25 December 2013

your father have to visit the subregister office for POA, in some cases registrar use to visit the client place, u can try that thing also. one thing i am not able to understand, when your is not well,what is the point in getting POA at this moment, rather you can get his property transferred to your name

S.QAISAR ALI ADV. (Advocate)     25 December 2013

To execute the sale deed as POA,registration in concerned sub registrar office is essential.If your father is not in good health or can not move or some other  relevant personal   problem is there to approach to registration office,you can request the registrar to go your father's residence and register the deed of POA paying  the nominal fee. .then you can move according to the contents of the deed.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     27 December 2013

When a general power of attorney is taken, each party with whom any transaction is done may demand a certified copy of the POA. One has to apply to the Registrar for the issue of a certified copy or copies of the POA. There are fees for them. You may also have to greese palms to expedite things. It would be advantageous to get a few extra copies at the time of registration itself.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register