LAW Courses
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

B Singh (self)     12 November 2012

Police department comes under rti

I have lodged FIR and whenever I ask the status and progress made on the FIR the police does not provide any answer.  Can I ask the status andprogress including  investigations done by giving an application  under RTI.

 11 Replies

arlkrishna (Consultant - Labour Compliances)     13 November 2012

Dear Experts,

Pls reply to B.Singh,s question as this is important and common for every ordinary citizen.

Ajit Singh Cheema (practising Advocate)     13 November 2012

The disclosure of information , in cases under investigation by the police was exemted , according to the provisions of Section 8(1)(g) and 8(1)(h) of the Right To Information Act .

Govardhanan (Advocate)     13 November 2012

U can certainly ask. But as rightly pointed out by Ajit singh sir, if the information sought for by u impedes progress of investigation or if it could endanger life of persons, information will not be given. But if the information sought for by u does not come under aforesaid exceptions, they r certainly bound to give the information.

surjit singh (Assistant)     13 November 2012

Certainly you can ask, but the police will only reply that the FIR is being investigated by so and so officer.

Om Prakash Dhusia (HR assistant)     14 November 2012

I am perturbed that we Indians are still in the mind set that if some one is senior to you or suggests anything then just he is to be addressed with the draconian word SIR. Comeon we are no more subjects of Britishers and no more in the clutches of Masters and Slaves. We are in the 21 Century and we talk of Human Rights but an advocates addresses another advocate as SIR has become taboo in the modern age. Are we are still in the world which is 10 decade retartded?

Take it very simply that RTI Act has not made India more superior than other developed and civilized nations and If police refuses to divulge any information then even Supreme court of India can not force them to do so leave apart FIR. Face the truth and wait for the action of police on FIR or till their Final Report is submitted with the concerned magistrate and then you can ask all the details from the court.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     14 November 2012

Nive observation by Om Prakash Dhusia.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     14 November 2012

Sorry read as Nice not Nive.

Om Prakash Dhusia (HR assistant)     15 November 2012

Thanks Mr. Assumi as I have ever found you to be more encouraging and courteous.


Sameer (Stock Broker)     20 November 2012

I agree with Mr Om Prakash views.He has highlighted the fact which cannot be neglected.The deepening root of corruption has impede the growth and efficacy of our nation. Our law and judicial system need a reform then only  the RTI can play a good role in bringing transparency in the system.

Govardhanan (Advocate)     23 November 2012

I think the query is not whether an advocate can be addressed as SIR or not by another advocate, which is the concern of the advocate addressing so and the advocate who is being addressed so. Better sticking strictly  to the query put forth and answering the same with reference to legal provision in particular will serve the purpose better.

Om Prakash Dhusia (HR assistant)     23 November 2012

No Mr. Govardhanan, If you are an advocate then you should also know that India cherish a freedom of expression if it does not amount to contempt. I have met with thousands of people who abhor this word SIR and to cite you an example that when I was interviewed by an American Gentleman in the year 1990 for Abu Dhabi and as being Indian I addressed him as SIR and he immediately shot back and suggested me to shed the colonial "slang". He called this word SIR a slang. I request you that please If you felt offended then it it your problem but I would never stop you to express your view. You are welocme for your comments howsoever belatedly.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query